Using Forms for Employee Review

Iron Contributor

I am looking at building our HR yearly review process in Forms. I will build the form for our HR staff but they will send out the link to staff when it's time for their review. However I have two questions with Forms....

1. Can results be hidden to just Managers and HR? I don't want employees seeing everyone's response.
  2. In our process the employee does a self eval against a defined set of questions. The manager also does the eval for the staff member against the same set of questions. Can this be forked so the manager and employee are working in the same "form"?
7 Replies

Hi @NThoman,

1. no-one other than those with the Share to Collaborate link will see the responses.

2. No there's no way to do that in Forms itself. You'd have to build that in a PowerApps form, saving the Forms response to a SharePoint list and then using the employee ID number as the criteria both the manager and employee would use. Do-able although I've not done it.

Rob

Los Gallardos

Microsoft Flow Community Super User

@RobElliott 

Here was my workflow thought, let me know if this sounds right.

1. I build the form and then move it to my HR Group which was created when building a new Modern SharePoint site. HR Members have Edit rights. While employees have read only to this site.
  2. The new form is saved as "Employee Self Evaluation Form - 2019"
  3. HR will email out the Send and Collect responses link. For the employee to complete the form. (Should the form have been cloned and renamed for the individual or OK to keep all together?)

@NThoman no I think you're getting things a bit confused here. What do you mean by you "move it to my HR Group"? The form stays within Forms, you can't export it although you can embed it in a SharePoint page. However it won't pick up the permissions from that page or the site. You set the permissions for the form in the Settings menu option in Forms itself and either anyone with a link can respond or only people in your organisation can respond.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Flow Community Super User

Hello! I am looking at doing this exact thing. Did you find a method that ended up working for you?
We ended up scrapping this path since managers have to set “Goals” for the employee prior them filling out their self-evaluation. Ended up creating employee document sets that managers have access to for each employee and then a word doc form template that has linked metadata fields to sharepoint. That way when the doc is created for this particular content type it automatically populates with employee information. I the. Have a backend workflow with power automate to do the review process and approvals.
Just wanted to add that I think using MS Forms for capturing associate performance feedback will likely bring upon many data privacy challenges in an organization. You'll have to answer questions such as:
1. What questions are you asking? Are you capturing PII?
2. Is the form anonymous? Are you sending to only a few people to where you can deduce who submitted it?
3. Where is the data stored? Who has access to it? Can you control their ability to share the captured data?

I love MS Forms, but I fear that using it in this particular context just raises to many HR/Legal concerns. Better to see if your HR system has a mechanism to capture this data.

Just my 2 cents.

@Jim Parker 

Yep... that was another reason we passed on using MS Forms for this.