Show one question at a time....

Brass Contributor

I'd like to use Forms in class ass a formative assessment tool. It would be nice it there is an option to show only one question at a time and an option to shuffle questions. The student will have to submit every answer seperately. 

Branching comes in handy when I want to personalize the assessment. For example if a students gives the wrong answer he/she would get a few follow up questions. This doesn't work if all questions are shown, because students can tell which answer is correct by trying different answers. 

Does it make any sense? What do you think?

20 Replies

I understand your requirement, and let me forward your feedback to the PM of this area.  @Nakul Madaan

Thanks
Thanks for sharing your requirement with us. We do have an option to shuffle questions, you can find it by clicking 'Send Form' -> 'See all settings' -> 'option for responses' -> Shuffle questions. One questions per page is in our backlog, however would like to understand in more details for your preference and scenario to show one question per page.
Sections maybe? And also the ability to insert a picture or text between questions... e.g. a piece of test then we could follow it with 3-4 "quiz" questions. Then a diagram, followed by 3-4 more questions etc.

Is this still being looked at and input sought?

1 question per page would be useful as some questions lead on from previous and could affect the thinking process.  Also dependant on the answer a follow up question may be required so the ability to branch to different sections of the survey or quiz would be beneficial.

Is there any support for this feature yet?

I would very much like this to happen, too! 

(See google forms "Sections" feature.)

A work around might be to use the "branching" functionality, and just configure the next question for each answer.  This ultimately will then show one question at a time because each question is dependent on the answer.

If we are offering a quiz class which is to be attempted by the students for grading purpose, a teacher would be interested to use the shuffle option as well as one by one display of the question while attempting, so that the student attempting the question will not know the next question. This will help in minimising the copy of answer from the fellow student. Is this option available in forms to display one question at a time to attempt. Thanks

@W.K. Lai Put each question in its own section.

@htmlcssjs  Yes, but can the teacher then release each section manually?

@PRCme no that's not possible.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

Is this still not possible?  This is the feature that is causing our users to continue using Slido rather than change to Microsoft Forms. 

@Deborah Stuckey the only way  to do this is to put each question into its own section. What other way would you be expecting this to happen?

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User.
Principal Consultant, SharePoint and Power Platform WSP UK (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

I'm not clear on what a "section" is on a Form--maybe that's what I'm missing.
In Slido, for example, you can create one form with multiple questions, and the presenter/moderator can "release" only one question at a time. The audience scans QRC once, but is only sees one question at a time as released by presenter. With Forms, as soon as the audience scans the QRC they see all of the questions on the form. So, presenters have to create separate forms for each question, requiring audience to scan QRC for each question separately.

Releasing all of the questions at once is perhaps useful for a Quiz at the end of training, for example. But if I'm making a presentation and I want to poll the audience along the way, I don't want them to see all the questions at once; with MS Forms, it seems I have to create separate, one-question, forms.

@Deborah Stuckey Forms can split your questions into separate sections and you can have 1 or more questions in each section.

To add a new section, when you click Add new you select Section from the dropdown:

1-Form.png

So in this example I've got my original question (which is automatically put into section 1) plus 3 additional sections, each with 1 question:

2-Form.png

When the form is used each section appears one at a time 

3-Form-S1.png

3-Form-S2.png

3-Form-S3.png

3-Form-S4.png

Rob
Los Gallardos
Principal Consultant, SharePoint and Power Platform WSP UK (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@Rob_Elliott  -- While I appreciate how Sections can be used, it still differs significantly from Slido.  With Slido, the presenter can release each question separately.  The participants scan the QRC one time, and see only one question at a time.  When the presenter releases the second question, they do not have to scan a separate QRC code, their device simply shows them the next question.  Using sections in Forms as you described, the audience can still click Next and go ahead to the next question.   As best I can tell, with Forms, the only way to prevent audience from advancing through all the questions is to create each question as a separate form.   

@Deborah Stuckey Well sorry but I have no idea what Slido is or what a QRC code is. You asked about sections in Forms which is what I answered. There's nothing more I can tell you.

Rob
Los Gallardos

Slido is designed to take polls during meetings so you make each question available when you want your audience to answer it.   In fairness, it's not really what Forms is designed for.

However, I'd like to see an option to allow Forms to only show one question at a time simply because later questions within a section can sway answers earlier in the section.

Doing it as a separate section for each question doesn't really meet these requirements as it renders the actual value of having sections null and void.