Send only one email when item details in SharePoint list is modified after it has been created.

Copper Contributor

I am trying to use Power Automate flow to get response from a MS form and create a corresponding item in SharePoint List and send email notification. The form can ask few questions I want to know and leave some fields to fill directly in the SharePoint List. I hope the flow could send only one email to the assigned person after I modify some detail fields. Here I have created two flows but they all have their respective questions.

First flow: Starting from "when an item or a file is modified" action, the flow completely not works.

Siyu_Dong_1-1689045134068.png

Second flow: This one is generated with help from AI so I don't know how to replicate the "when an existing item is modified" action to my first flow. Additionally, it will automatically send few emails to the assigned person when I modify fields in the SharePoint list.

Siyu_Dong_2-1689045157102.png

Question: Is there any solutions for me to combine the second flow to the first flow successfully and send only one email after I complete modifying some fields at the same time?

3 Replies
It seems that you want to use Power Automate flow to send an email notification when a SharePoint list item is modified after it has been created by a MS form response. You have tried two different flows but neither of them works as you expected.

One possible solution is to use versioning to determine if an item is new or has been modified. You can enable versioning in your SharePoint list settings and then use a condition in your flow to check the version number of the item. If the version number is 1.0, it means the item is new and you can send a confirmation email. If the version number is greater than 1.0, it means the item has been modified and you can send an email to the assigned person. Here is a link to a blog post that explains this solution in more detail.

Another possible solution is to use the When an item in a SharePoint list is modified trigger in your flow. This trigger will start the flow whenever an item is changed in the list. You can then use dynamic content from the trigger to get the information of the modified item, such as the created by and assigned to fields, and use them in your email action. Here is a link to a template that shows this solution.

I hope this helps you solve your problem.
You can try to combine the second flow to the first flow successfully and send only one email after you complete modifying some fields at the same time.
Solution 1:
You can use the Condition action to check if the SharePoint list item has been modified since the last time the flow ran. If it has, then you can send an email notification. If it hasn't, then you can skip the email notification step.
Solution 2:
You can use the Get Changed Fields action to get a list of the fields that have been modified since the last time the flow ran. You can then use this list to check if any of the modified fields are the ones that you want to be notified about. If they are, then you can send an email notification.
Solution 3:
You can use the Track Changes action to track the changes that are made to a SharePoint list item. You can then use this information to send an email notification when a specific change is made to the item.
Which solution you choose will depend on your specific needs. If you only want to be notified about changes to a few specific fields, then Solution 2 or Solution 3 might be a good option. If you want to be notified about any changes to the SharePoint list item, then Solution 1 might be a better option.
Here are the steps on how to combine the second flow to the first flow using Solution 1:
1. In the first flow, add a Condition action after the When an item or a file is modified action.
2. In the Condition action, set the condition to SharePoint List Item Modified Since Last Run.
3. If the condition is met, then add an Email action to send a notification.
4. If the condition is not met, then skip the Email action.
Here are the steps on how to combine the second flow to the first flow using Solution 2:
1. In the first flow, add a Get Changed Fields action after the When an item or a file is modified action.
2. In the Get Changed Fields action, select the fields that you want to be notified about.
3. If any of the fields that you selected have been modified, then add an Email action to send a notification.
4. If none of the fields that you selected have been modified, then skip the Email action.
Here are the steps on how to combine the second flow to the first flow using Solution 3:
1. In the first flow, add a Track Changes action after the When an item or a file is modified action.
2. In the Track Changes action, select the fields that you want to be notified about.
3. When a change is made to one of the fields that you selected, the Track Changes action will send an email notification.
Thank you so much H2O! I will try all the solution you provided above and then tell you the outcome :)