MS Forms specific answer options based on previous question response

Copper Contributor

Hi, I am new to MS forms, I am working on a Request type form for our team members and trying to make it as user friendly as possible.  Is something like the below possible? If so how (branching?)

Question1: which division are you in (Drop down with the 10 options (North, south, etc). Depending on this selection, Question 2 would updated with specific options within a drop down multiple choice.

Answer to Q1= North

Question 2 options : NY, PA, NE, ETC

Answer to Q1= South

Question 2 options: FL, GA, TX etc.

9 Replies

@_ChadC2020 you're absolutely right, you can do this with branching.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@RobElliott  thanks, can you give me some pointers on how to do this? I'm not sure how to set it up properly, would it be a new question for each option in question 1?

@_ChadC2020 yep, give me half an hour, I need to rush to the store (avoiding the Coronavirus police on the roundabout) to get a bottle of wine. Emergency supplies.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@RobElliott I have tried several times to setup branching but clearly I am doing something wrong.  I have Q1. with 3 multiple choice answers, which I then add branching.  For example, if user selects first multiple choice then I want it to go to Q2, if they select 2nd multiple choice, it would go to Q3, etc.  But what's happening is if they select the 1st option, then Q2, 3 & 4 are displayed.  If they select the 2nd option, then Q3 & 4 are displayed and when they select the 3rd option Q4 is displayed.  I'm doing something wrong but can't figure out exactly what.

stephmiddle_0-1643416354137.png

Did anyone manage to resolve this? (Not just a branching question, but populating a follow-up question with the responses from a previous multiple choice question)

@Cate_Shaw you can't populate a follow-up question with the response from a previous question, it's just no do-able.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

Ok, thanks so much for closing the loop, @RobElliott!

Hi @stephmiddle 

Your question is a bit dated, I'm writing this for future reference.

To reach what you want, you need to add to questions 5, 6, and 7 a branching that says "Go to End of Form" :

MichelAebischer_0-1702023934686.png

That way, you will only see one question, depending on your choice.

Branching works like a BASIC GOTO command : you're moved to your destination, then you continue from there.  Unless there is another GOTO that moves you somewhere else.

Man. Looks like you are in jail due to drunk and drive. Its been 4 years and you are not back yet. Lol.