SOLVED

MS Forms "Section/(s) Loop"

Copper Contributor

Good Morning MS community 

Is there a feature in Forms that allows certain section or sections to be repeated?

e.g.

For Section 1 - respondent enters his credentials, then goes through succeeding sections with their own branching. Say during a per area inspection, on the first run the respondent went through the 1st branching then after finishing that, he needs to register again his second respond for the next area but it goes though the same initial questions but later goes though a different branching (depending on observations, and answering of the form).

Basically I would like to inquire if forms has a feature that i fill up the first section (credentials) go through the form, then after the last question of that certain branch, form would let me redo the whole form but starting from the 2nd section then go through corresponding branching then back to section 2 again? 

With regards to the response what i picture is that for 1 case, ill get a response for the 1st section then get a response for the 2nd section to the last section, if i repeated 3x i get 3 responses for the 2nd to the last.

1st section response
2nd - Last Sections Response (1st area)
2nd - Last Sections Response (2nd area)
2nd - Last Sections Response (3rd area)

My context is that i don't know how many times the inspector would need to go through the 2nd-last sections per floor be it 3x, 4x, 5x nth x, i need to be able to loop the sections how ever many times required by the inspection and want to save time by eliminating the redo of certain identical sections like the inspector credentials sections

6 Replies

@QIMD_San 

Microsoft Forms does not support the feature you are asking for.

@Dingkun Xie

Thank you very much for your prompt reply

Can I inquire, can you recommend a work around? if there is any....
best response confirmed by QIMD_San (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@QIMD_San I've had to do this before and had to replicate the sections... it just depends how many scenarios (and questions per section) you have.

Have you an example of the form you could 'share as a template'?

@Graham Kelly - I agree, here's what i did as a work around, the credentials section (current section 1) i've put to the last, then for the current 2nd section (i've made it the 1st section) up to the current last section then added 1 more section that asks the inspector "new area" or "enter credentials" (9 inspection sections total).

These 9 sections i've copied 10x with the added section having the following branching

"new area" - this loops back to the start of the "9 inspection sections" up to 10x

"enter credentials" - this goes to the credentials section which i have put to the very last and which after filling up will have the submit button.

With this the inspector can make 10 inspections with having to only enter credentials once every 10 inspections, minimizing the times credentials are entered. (i can add more loop but my concern is the form being bagged down due to number of sections as well as the gadget that the inspector is using).
Yeah, that's the approach! ;)

Logically it's easy, but it can soon become... a logical mess; you need to keep section headers clearly defined, etc. to help with branching and power automate field mapping. I've hit the 200-question limit (presuming there's still a 200-question limit in November 2023) a few times with having to replicate sections several times to satisfy the logical workflow.
Thanks @Graham Kelly i will keep this in mind
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by QIMD_San (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@QIMD_San I've had to do this before and had to replicate the sections... it just depends how many scenarios (and questions per section) you have.

Have you an example of the form you could 'share as a template'?

View solution in original post