MS Forms data stored in SharePoint List

Brass Contributor

It would be really great if the questions / data collected could be promoted into a SharePoint List (like it used to be with InfoPath) because it is much easier to use than PowerApps.  Users find it difficult to work with the phone layout and if they can remember to change to the tablet layout, getting the pictures they want, and branching questions, etc., are much harder for users to get their forms into PowerApps.  I know you can export the data into Excel, but it would just be easier if users had the option to use MS FORMS or POWERAPPS for more complicated forms.

23 Replies
Did you know you can also use Flow to write every response into a SharePoint list when it is added. There is a Forms trigger for this but does require configuring for each form you want to do this.

Hi @Janet Bailey

Using Flow as @Alan Marshall has suggested is the way to go.

Here's one I have mocked up which shows you how to do it in Microsoft Flow.

flow form to sharepoint list.png

Use the headings in the image to find the same parts to add in Flow. 

A pop up box appears on the side when looking for attributes to add in. If you don't see any in that pop up box, there should be hyperlinks in it that say "See more". Click onto them for the options to appear.

Make sure to create a SharePoint list with the appropriate columns to house the data, and then match the data to those columns (bottom of the picture).

Let us know how you go with this? Hopefully it's the solution to your query!

Best wishes and good luck!

Cheers

Damien

@Damien Rosario This looks great, thanks. Do you know if there is a way to use a Group Form as the source though? Group Forms don't appear for me in the Form Id drop-down, and errors when I try and type the name manually.

Hi @Deleted 

You can use group forms by copying the form URL and pasting it into the Get response details action in Flow (this is what I do for my Forms + Flows).

I also have access to the form as I am a part of the group so hopefully you are too!

Let me know how you go. If it doesn't work we may need an offline discussion just to see what's happening.

Cheers

Damien

@Damien Rosario Thanks! I haven't found the time to test this yet but once I do I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi@Damien Rosario ,

Can you show me how to  paste the form URL in Get Response Details?

I have tried but could not.

Thank you,

Thanh

@thanhtran91 In the Form Id Dropdown select Enter Custom Value. 

Now go back to you form and select SHARE on the top right corner, in the url presented at the end you should see a paramter ID, enter the ID parameter value in the custom value 

@thanhtran91 

In addition to what @Sai Gutta has said, if you happen to be the owner/have shared access to the form, you can also just select it from the drop down list when you click into Form ID in Flow.

Cheers and best wishes

Damien

Hi@Sai Gutta 

Thank you for your quick response.

Let me explain the background.

I created a priviate MS teams for my team, and created a group MS forms to collect data from each member. I dont want to store data in Excel file because data is going big day by day and Excel is not user friendly app, so I wanted data to store in Sharepoint List using Flow.

come back to my issue, Could not select Form Id at "When a new response is submitted" and "Get reponse details" even Enter Custom Value.

And the response ID should be interger ID? This is my response ID:

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=fs9ZuIr_u0C9D9pW5twOuCpP96jnYShAuCu94l9vubZURjNU...

Thank you,

Thanh

@thanhtran91 

Hi Thanh

Your response ID is everything after ID in the URL:

fs9ZuIr_u0C9D9pW5twOuCpP96jnYShAuCu94l9vubZURjNUNFdTS0VUODExRlE1MVFUWE5ORkwyVyQlQCN0PWcu

Click make sure you scroll and choose Enter custom value before you paste.

Cheers and best wishes

Damien

@thanhtran91 - Flow will automatically get your response Id, if you look at the @Damien Rosario reply with screenshot you will see that response id is getting input from the dynamic field based on your previous step output. 

below gif should help you

FormFlowCreation.gif

@Damien Rosario 

Just what I needed, and Perfect timing.

Do need to figure out one more step:

As with the Move from one SharePoint list to another, (which, btw can be turned into Add into another list when one is created, by just dropping the delete step)  I want to remove the item from Forms so the data is only in the SharePoint list.  

Pointers appreciated. :)

Hi @TheGaryB 

It's not currently an option to delete data from Forms via Power Automate (formerly Flow) at present.

It could possibly be a future addition though I suspect it will need to be advocated on UserVoice for it to get some traction.

Your only option is to periodically clear all results from the Form manually in the Form > Responses tab > ... > Delete all responses.

Cheers

Damien

@Damien Rosario 

Thanks for the quick response!  My only worry was that somehow the same response might be copied again, but I added the Form's ID to the SharePoint list and set it to require unique values. That's close enough for now. :)

And yes, I need to stop calling it Flow. :)

g

Hi @TheGaryB 

The form responses shouldn't repeat as they would be captured at the point of submission only.

The flow should never recapture the same Form response ID twice so your SharePoint lists should be clear of duplicates.

Oh and the 'formerly Microsoft Flow' thing is something I do to remind myself to call it Power Automate as well! Still wrapping my head around breaking that old habit.

Best wishes and enjoy your weekend ahead

Damien

But does it transfer a multiple choice option from the form to SharePoint?

@pyvonner  yes, the answers to a multiple choice question in the form will end up in SharePoint like this:

multipleAnswers.png

If you want to remove the brackets and the quotation marks this could be done in Power Automate before it creates the item in the SharePoint list.

Rob
Los Gallardos

Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@Damien Rosario 

Thanks for a helpful post with screenshots. 
I have an issues, there is no "List of response notifications..." to select under "Including dynamic content".  This happens even when I select a form (another form, not the group-form I'm going to actually use) from the drop down list, so its not the ID that is wrong. Also quite sure I got the copy&paste part right. ;) 
If I add other step, something  

Any ideas what could be the issue? 

Sharepoint_Form_issue.jpg

@ToFfern after the When a new response is submitted trigger you need to add a Get response details action. In that you will have the "List of response notifications Response Id" in the dynamic content to select.

0-trigger-details-user.png

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User