Microsoft Forms – users submitting form without filling in required fields

Copper Contributor

Hi, can anyone shed light on a problem we're experiencing?

We have a Microsoft Form for submitting content requests managed through Teams and using a Power Automate flow to pull responses through to Freedcamp.

Recently multiple users have submitted responses without filling in required fields such as contact details etc. And one user was able to submit a form after uploading a file that was over the maximum size limit, which caused the Power Automate flow to fail.

The fields are definitely marked as required on the form and appear with an asterisk.

I am unable to replicate the problem. When I try to submit a form it flashes up a warning message saying 'The question is required'.

The only edits we have made since the form was set up are to the text of questions. We haven't added/deleted questions or changed branching etc. 

Has Microsoft brought in any changes that could have introduced a bug?

Thanks
Amy

7 Replies
Did you ever get a resolution to this issue?

We have several required / mandatory fields on a form and have had several people manage to proceed to the next section AND then successfully submit the form without filling out the required fields.

This is supposed to be impossible!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Same here for me - did you ever get this resolved? @iamBLOATER 

There is one situation that may result in blank responses for required questions: if your form is set to automatically submit after a certain time duration (Set time duration) and there are required questions, there will no longer be any restrictions on leaving those questions blank if the response is auto-submitted.

@Dingkun Xie 

No, that is not the case. No restrictions are on the form. 

The fields are definitely marked as required on the form and appear with an asterisk.

I am unable to replicate the problem. When I try to submit a form it flashes up a warning message saying 'The question is required'.

I guess some users submitted without Form fill in normal way.
In another words,they use selemium/python to hand on information rather than manually, which result bypass the front required validation.

@peiyezhu no that's not it I figured it out by user testing. Initially I was looking at the front of the form thinking I'm going crazy as the question is there and it's asterisked but without realising it months back I played with an aspect of the form to add branching and because the branching is not obvious unless you click "add branching" you cannot see what branching already exists. Mistakenly I had set branching to eliminate a question if the user answers the previous question.

That's possible, and the restriction only applies to the front-end.