Is there a way to find out who owns a Form?

Iron Contributor

We have a URL to a Microsoft Form but we aren't sure who created it. Since the Form still works the form must belong to a group or an individual that is still with the company. Is there a way to find out who owns a Form when all you have is the URL to the Form?

18 Replies

@Jeffrey Thorpe 

If you go into the Forms creation dashboard forms.office.com ... you might be able to see if the form is in a specific Team (but probably only if you are a member of the team will you see anything).

there does not appear to be anything in the form meta-data or in the form objects that are investigatable via PowerAutomate either.

I would suspect that your Microsoft Admin could give you a list of people that can create forms (who have a Forms license) and maybe even backtrack form the form object id.

Hi @Jeffrey Thorpe 

I agree with @CYappert that you can't find the owner with just the URL at this time.

As a long shot, you could try (and maybe have others try) the following URL and put the Form ID (e.g. ID will look something like rOkYLaMXK...) at the back of this link to see if you (or someone else) can edit the form.

https://forms.office.com/Pages/DesignPage.aspx?origin=shell#FormId=

If someone hits the jackpot, get them to share the form with the appropriate people to ensure you can edit the form OR use Share as a template to allow for the duplication of the form so that you/someone else can have your own copy.

Best wishes

Damien

@Damien Rosario thanks! You backdoor URL worked. 

That's awesome to hear, @Teresa Wehmeier! Glad to be of service.

Cheers

Damien

I don't know if it was closed deliberately or as part of the response option updates, or if it's something unique to my org's cloud instance, but the backdoor URL from @Damien Rosario doesn't work for me.

Hi @sd adm 

It may not work if you do not have edit rights to the form.

If you know who has created the form and they still have access, they can go into the form, click onto the Share button (top right of the form) and then onto Share to collaborate > + Get a link to view and edit.

Good luck!

Damien

@Jeffrey Thorpe do you know if there is a user voice suggestion for this as it seems a real disadvantage that as a system admin you can't find the owner of a form and change the owner if that person leaves the business?   I've got a form I can't trace at the moment and it's like a needle in a haystack!

Actually ignore that - I can't find a uservoice area for MS forms like there is for Teams etc so it's irrelevant! Sorry

@SarahTurner the uservoice sites are being closed across all applications and repalced with an in-house Microsoft solution which hasn't rolled out yet. Forms uservoice was the first to close.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

Ah that makes sense - thanks. I did wonder why I couldn't find them!

@SarahTurner , If you had voted or commented on the top 20 suggestions at the Forms uservoice, MS sent an email with a link to a Form asking which ones you wanted to be kept informed of. That Form has since been closed, though:

sdadm_0-1632150872696.png

@Jeffrey Thorpe 

I use this method.  It will search the CASB for events where someone has edited a form.  If someone can edit a form, that implies that person is the owner or has co-ownership of the form.

CloudAppEvents
| where Application == "Office 365"
| where TimeGenerated >ago(90d)
| project TimeGenerated, ActionType, RawEventData
| where ActionType == "EditForm"
| evaluate bag_unpack(RawEventData, columnsConflict='replace_source')
// | where FormId == "nnn"
| where SourceApp == "ms-formweb"
| project TimeGenerated, UserId, FormName, FormId

This query results in something like this.  A list of Forms that have been edited, and i can see who edited them.

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 12.29.09 AM.png

This issue has been raised via Microsoft's Feedback Center,  @sd adm and @SarahTurner

https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/a17fd709-d11c-ec11-b6e7-0022481f8472 

Upvote!

Same issue, but slightly different scenario: all owners can edit the form. But we want to move it as we're rearranging Teams/SharePoint.
Cannot find the 'move' function. Also, doesn't feel helpful to not be able to Manage Access to a form in the same way we'd manage access to a Word/Excel/PowerPoint file.
How exactly do you run this query?

@Jeffrey Thorpe 

Few years forward and seemingly there's still no way for 'admin' to find forms of other users.

Following an excellent suggestion by @AndrewX, I've updated it so it works with current M365 Defender schema and doesn't filter by 'EditForm' to catch people successfully opening it too.

1. Take your form link. It will look like this:

https://forms.office.com/Pages/DesignPageV2.aspx?origin=NeoPortalPage&subpage=design&id=??????????-????????-?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????&analysis=false

And make note of the long string after &id=.  This is your <form id>

2. Go to: https://security.microsoft.com/v2/advanced-hunting

And do the query:

CloudAppEvents
| where Application == "Microsoft 365"
| where Timestamp >ago(90d)
| project Timestamp, ActionType, RawEventData
| evaluate bag_unpack(RawEventData, columnsConflict='replace_source')
| where FormId == "<insert your form id from URL>"
| where SourceApp == "ms-formweb"
| project Timestamp, UserId, FormName, FormId, ActionType, ResultStatus

You can see who opened or edited the form:

Robal_K_0-1698835546472.png

This is a life saver! Is there a default limit as to how far back the advanced hunting queries go? I was hoping to go back further than 90 days, but I am not seeing anything earlier than mid October for us. Perhaps its customizable for the tenant but I am fairly sure we leave everything at default for log retention.
You may also use this method. Works a charm, but it's not easy for the average person to do:
https://itspartlycloudy.com/2022/01/20/who-created-this-microsoft-form/