How to move a Forms to OneDrive?

Copper Contributor

Hello,

An user has created a Forms directly with the app Forms, so now when she wants to open answers in Excel, she has to download a file and there's no excel file in OneDrive.

Is it possible to "move" it to OneDrive so she can open answers in Excel Online? Or maybe make it as a Template and then create a new Forms in OneDrive and use it..? I can't find any solution... Thanks for your help!

25 Replies
Only option you have is to create a flow, that takes responses to the form and moves them into an excel file that lives on your OneDrive that I'm aware of.
Thank you for your help! I'll try this!
Hi Caroline

In addition to Christophers suggestion, you can create a MS Form directly linked to OneDrive by:

1. Go to Office 365 online in your web browser.
2. Using the app launcher, open OneDrive.
3. In the OneDrive menu, click onto New > Forms for Excel.
4. Name your new Form and click Create.

You can now replicate your old Form in the new one and the results will always be available in your OneDrive.

If you ever need to share the results file with someone, you can just share the Excel doc as you would any other doc on OneDrive (right click onto the file and Share).

Best wishes
Damien

Damien, I have the same need, but...

I have about 150 forms, mostly questionnaires, originally created using Microsoft Forms. Having them separately makes it harder to use all that data to produce statistics. For that reason I want to move them all to Excel/OneDrive or even a database.

I know there is no export/import option, so, what would be the most effective way to move all my questionnaires, with data, to Excel/OneDrive?

Thank you very much...Carlos  

Thank you

Hi Carlos

Good question. I am not aware of any easy method to do it.

The only thing I can suggest is to manually export the results of each form to Excel and save it to OneDrive for historial record.

You'd probably have to create the forms as per my suggestion above in OneDrive if you want the Excel file to be live data moving forward.

Christopher Webb might have some further thoughts on this.

Sorry that I don't have better news for you. Forms is still in the early days of its life and more useful functionality will likely come in down the track.

Best wishes friend.

Cheers
Damien

@Damien Rosario 

Can you give more details to how you replicate a Form from the App to onedrive.

Hi @Tim_Christopher770 

What do you mean by replicate a Form from the App to OneDrive? Do you meant he actual questions/response options, or the results as discussed in this post?

Cheers

Damien

@Caroline Gauthier 

Caroline,

Did you ever get a satisfactory answer on how to move MS Forms to have the excel sheet responses show in onedrive? Other than rebuilding the form. It seems as such a easy thing but why the no-export or import not allowed?

@JTSsmtxcom 

Hi did anyone here succeeded in transfering Forms, that originally have been created in sharepoint Forms to Onedrive ?

O365 offers moving the form, but only to other shrepoint groups but not to onedrive.

I do not want to create all my forms again on onedrive just to be able to have all replies in one spreadsheet.

Thanks in advance

I use Power Automate to move all results to an Excel file in OneDrive. It happens automatically after each response is received and in some cases additional things happen like send an email with results analysis or warn a student on specific areas for improvement. All automated.

Power Automate is a tool with superpowers. Once you learn the basics and start unleashing the powers you will realize you can't live without it. :)

@Carlos Hurtado Thank you very much for your input.

I have played around with power automate for approvals and mail notifications.

I might need some hints how to move new form entries into a certain excel. Is there any source you could advise to me or maybe some help that you can provide from your side? Any help appreciated :- )

Also I was wondering, if the results could be automatically put into a preformatted pdf and that is going to be send around, all automatically.

Cheers 

I'd say the best place to start is to use a very basic template that you can use in Power Automate that does exactly that: add every response to Excel. Do a search in PA with forma and excel keywords. Let me know if you don't find it to jump into the computer and do the search. In my cellphone it's harder to do so.

With respect to PDF, sure you can do that. There are actions to create PDF documents and share via email with subscribers. 100% automated.
When you follow the instructions Damien gave and create the form, the form will automatically suggest your questions from the latest form, so you will be able to easily select the questions from the "old" form.

@Damien Rosario 

I am trying to save a MS Form from the MS 365 site to OneDrive.  Following your steps...however I do not get "Forms to Excel" when selecting new?  I have opened the form on 365 then click on OneDrive App.  Am I doing something wrong?

Hi @Kate_Merit02 

Hope you are well.

Make sure you are in OneDrive in your web browser before proceeding.

You'll need to recreate the questions in your new form but the data will then live in OneDrive which is what I assume you're looking to have?

DamienRosario_0-1647815789209.png

See how you go?

Cheers and best wishes

Damien

@Damien Rosario Thanks for the browser suggestion! However I can't locate the form on the folder where I chose "New..." after I created it. I tried searching for the form name on the mobile app of OneDrive and found it, added a response, but now when I search again there's nothing. I wasn't able to find an Excel file with the responses. Is there something I'm missing? 

To add some context in case it's interesting, I'd like to do something similar to what the original poster wanted, to create a form and/or capture data, if possible on mobile and if possible offline (synchronizing it later with OneDrive), and add it to an Excel file for me to later analyze and aggregate. I'm not personally interested in having lots of people collaborate on that form, but I'd like to have it available across devices. 

Hi @dormideira 

Hope you are doing well.

Once you go to OneDrive in your web browser and create using Forms in Excel, the file will live in My Files.

DamienRosario_3-1650434234475.png

It should also appear in your Microsoft Forms screen under Recent.

DamienRosario_2-1650434201222.png

When you're in the Form, you can also see the Excel file under Responses and click Open in Excel. It will open the Excel file in your OneDrive.

DamienRosario_4-1650434365146.png

Lastly, forms does not work offline so you are out of luck there!

Hope the above helps and best wishes with your Form.

Cheers

Damien

@Damien Rosario I have gotten this far in my Form creation but I would like to move the Form to a Shared folder. Is this possible? 

@dleighton5 I’m joining this discussion late but have the same need to have form inputs saved to an excel sheet in OneDrive. This is where I think MS may have confused us. (I’ll be happy to be proved wrong). 

To achieve the desired result, I think you need to subscribe to the more expensive 365 business account rather than the basic 365 Family. I’m about to upgrade my account and will let you know if It works.