Global Administrator with no access to Forms they didn't create after disabled 30+ days

Iron Contributor

I am at a loss and trying to figure out how best to manage Microsoft Forms.

When people create a Microsoft Forms form, as a Global Administrator, I have NO idea that they do so; we have 1000's of people in our company.  People are hired and leave all the time.  I find out ONLY after the fact, 90% of time MORE than 30 days AFTER they leave.  To not have any type of USEFUL administration is amazingly frustrating for my customers.

I have a form that was given to me to FIX https://forms.office.com/pages/designpagev2.aspx?lang=en-US&origin=OfficeDotCom&route=Start&wdlor=AB...and when I, as a global admin click on it:

Sorry, something went wrong
Please make sure you have permission to access this form.
I can't do anything, and the form is "useless" and now people keep filling out the form only to be discouraged as no one gets back to them as the form is NOT accessible by "anyone."  

Can I at least SOMEHOW copy the form or DELETE it at the least.  I feel that this Microsoft Forms form is just going to be around and cause frustration and lack of confidence in others.

I don't want to move to a group or anything and I know that I can transfer ownership BEFORE 30 days, however I RARELY get that notice.
Thank you.
2 Replies

@Wade_LambertUnfortunately, it appears there is still no function available to administrate these forms without having taking prior action to "share" the access to forms before the 30 day period lapses after the owner account is removed. We are likely going to be asking the question of Premier support to find out what our options are, but it looks like the current recommendation is to first create a M365 cloud group, then have the author/owner transfer the ownership to that group. Then anyone in the group can administrate the form and access the form data.

One exception to this is if the account is disabled or licensing is removed. FAQs state that, in this case, the data will not be removed, and the special URL that @Matthew Carter lists above will be accessible and ownership can be transferred. The data is removed only in the case of 30 days after the account is soft deleted from the tenant or immediately if the account is hard deleted from the tenant.