SOLVED

Forms with Flow

Copper Contributor

We have a Microsoft Form  that when filled out, flows to an email group and responses populate on a SharePoint list (for consumption and further edits by the department). The Flow fails whenever someone fills in too long of a response on "further details" section of the Form (which is set up for long answer). The failure indicates a 255 char max and the responses are over that max... but the person doesn't get an error that their Form submission didn't go through. We indicate on the "Further Details" question that there's a 250 char limit but it doesn't stop people from continuing and thinking their submission went through. What is the best way to handle this? 

5 Replies
best response confirmed by tarahray (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@tarahray it sounds line you have set up the further details column in the SharePoint list as a single line of text column which has a 255 character limit. Change this column to a multiple lines of text column which can store up to 63,999 characters.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@tarahray - if like Rob suggests, you want to have more than 255 characters, changing the field in SharePoint makes the most sense. If you want to limit the field on the survey and are using Forms Pro, you can set the field to have a restriction and set the character limit using a regular expression. 

@RobElliott  - from help I've found, this only works if you're using a Document Library, not a regular SharePoint list. And MS Forms "short answer" is 400 characters, over the 255 characters allowed. Any other ideas? 

@RobElliott Hi When I use Multiple lines the data does not transfer to Power BI correctly and the multiple lines of text are unreadable

I have the same issue. Both the Form and the Sharepoint field is set to multiple lines, but I get the error:

OpenApiOperationParameterValidationFailed. The 'inputs.parameters' of workflow operation 'Create_item' of type 'OpenApiConnection' is not valid. Error details: The API operation 'PostItem' requires the property 'item/Why_x0020_are_x0020_you_x0020_su' to be a string of maximum length '255' but is of length '609'.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by tarahray (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@tarahray it sounds line you have set up the further details column in the SharePoint list as a single line of text column which has a 255 character limit. Change this column to a multiple lines of text column which can store up to 63,999 characters.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

View solution in original post