SOLVED

Forms responses missing when Excel is opened

Copper Contributor

I have created a Form in Office 365 Business and now have 81 responses.  When I try to open the responses in Excel, it only shows that I have 1 response.  Please advice.

125 Replies

Hi Alan,

Sorry for the late response.

Looks like you have met several critical errors

1 - Missing data in Excel workbook

2 - Forms settings (e.g. anyone with the link could response) takes hours to reflect on customer side

3 - "Sync to new Excel workbook" doesn't work well for you.

It would be great if you could share your form URL with us, so we could have further investigation.

I'll send you a private message to have more detail follow up with you.

Regards,

Zhongzhong

Hi Alan,

As I mentioned before, the whole data sync pipe is built upon Microsoft Graph / Excel API, we are working closely with API and Excel Online team to improve the reliability.

For most of the time, we need to solve the specific error/bug on reliability one by one, so if you could share your form URL, it will help us troubleshoot, and fix the error type you have met previously.

Regards,

Zhongzhong

As per my reply to your private message, I am very grateful for this offer and will contact you if it goes wrong again since I have deleted the previous two Excel spreadsheets/form which went wrong. Currently things are working.

We are missing responses from our Kindergarten Bridges form. Is there any way to retrieve them? My principal said she saw about 5 last week and yesterday there were only 2.

-Mrs. Rembert

Mine does not look like that

I do not see the "more options" option to sync all responses...

screenshot.jpg

Mine does not look like that

I do not see the "more options" option to sync all responses...

Erin,

Yes, that seems to be a hit and miss too, unless I have missed something. Sometimes when I open the associated Excel spreadsheet up online the items on the Form ribbon option are greyed out. I usually refresh the browser or re-sign in or something like that before it starts to work properly.

Office 365 Form Responses MISSING-Kindergarten Bridges 

We are missing responses from our Kindergarten Bridges form. Is there any way to retrieve them? My principal said she saw about 5 last week and yesterday there were only 2.

-Mrs. Rembert

Based on your screenshot, your form doesn't have a connection with Excel online workbook. To create a form has live connection, you could check the document here.

For your form, every time you click on "Open in Excel", you will receive a new download file, which should always contain the latest data.

Do you mean for the new download file, it also has missing data?

@Alan Cossey, please also be free to contact me directly when you have the ribbon status error.

It is a good opportunity for us to get more input from customer to validate our troubleshooting assumption. It will be more efficient than just analyzing service logs.

Regards,

Zhongzhong

Yes.

My principal checked and one week there were 5 responses and the next week there were only 2.

When I generated the excel file there were still only 2 responses showing.

-Mrs. Rembert

Kindergarten Bridges Form missing responses in both responses and excel

Zhongzhong,

Mine has gone wrong again. Three responses are missing. However, I am not around for a couple of days so I'll private message you then and hopefully we can get the thing sorted out.

Alan

Typical Msft - they can't even get a idea they copied from Google right. The whole point is to have a form that submits to a spreadsheet - Msft can't figure that out so the answer is to create a new spreadsheet??? Ridiculous - please go back and see how Google does it and try again.

@Nate Kennedy wrote:

If you click the export to excel button the link will flash and be redirected. But if you copy and past it then change the false at the end to a true it will open a new spreadsheet that will have all your data in it. This is the only work around I have found. But you will have all your data this way. 

Example

data. https://forms.office.com/Pages/RedirectToExcelPage.aspx?id=RgHwM8xv6Um1aHiWswadRM6biPXhOnlKtde69MV1d...false - change this false to a true

I hope this helps some of you!

You're a genious ! Thanks a lot !

That completely fixed my Excel sheet, creating a new one which workd perfectly.

Note for others : the "export" button is on the form's response's tab. Be quick to copy the URL...

Hi Zhongzhong,

My client is currently experiencing this issue, responses have stopped syncing to the Excel doc. They briefly saw them overwriting the last response but now nothing gets written.

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=59IL-cC1JUueJyJv-LbBe3S6AghXBodGqQG_vHb87IRUMVJR...

Hi Euan,

I hope this document could help - How to get the missing data in Forms.

Regards,

Zhongzhong

Hi Zhongzhong

Is there any way of troubleshooting this rather than re-syncing to a new spreadsheet? The users have been adding extra information to the spreadsheet gathered from the Form and to replicate this information would be an extra administrative burden. I can see from the audit log app@sharepoint is accessing the file and when I have the file open I can see SharePoint App editing the file so it looks like the connection still works but something is preventing the new rows from being written.