Forms Pro - How can I see the variables selected for a specific invitation?

Copper Contributor

Thank you in adavance for your help!

My situation is this - I have created a stakeholder survey in Forms Pro. I want to be able to use this one form to collect responses from multiple stakeholder groups - and different vendors. I'd like to use the one survey - send multiple invitations (employing the variables) - and view an export of all responses. So far so good on this part. I've successfully created the survey and sent 3 different emails using the variables. The only problem is - when I view the results I have no idea which version of the survey they are replying to. 

For Example:

1. Send the survey to Mary and Jim asking for their feedback on vendor ABC123
  2. Send the survey to Mike and Joanne asking for their feedback on Vendor 456XYZ
  3. Send the survey to Mary and Jim asking for their feedback on vendor 456XYZ

I have the following variables:

• {{First Name}}
  • {{Last Name}}
  • {{Vendor}}

Is there a way for me to see all the response results from the examples above in one table WITH the associated variables?

Thanks!

18 Replies
@smolcykr are you using Dynamics 365 or Forms Pro to review your responses? That makes a difference as to where the variables coming back are visible from.

@Megan_V_Walker  - thank you for your response.

I am using Forms Pro. I do not have access to Dynamics 365. But if you tell me this is a must have in order to view results the way I want to - then I will do all I can to get access.

@smolcykr - no not needed, just two different ways of then being able to see the variables.

Within Forms Pro, when you see the list of responses, you can double click to open one up. You then have a tab for the Responses, and a tab for the personalised data, which is the variables you have passed through when creating and sending out the survey invitation. That is the only place you will be able to access it from Forms Pro. 

2020-01-29_20-45-13.png

@Megan_V_Walker 

Thank you - I now see the second tab with the personalized - so that's good!

But I am super disappointed to learn that I am unable to export the responses and the personalizations.
With this not available to me - I'm struggling to see why I should use Pro instead just regular forms.

Thank you again

@smolcykr - I actually have a couple of other ideas for you. Do you use SharePoint, or do you just want to get an excel download of the data? Either way, you could use Power Automate to create a flow that triggers on a new survey response. In the flow, you can use a compose step to get the variables, then a parse JSON step to extract the values. A step can then be added to add everything to an excel file, or a SharePoint list.

In fact, I think I will write this as my next blog post: https://meganvwalker.com/microsoft-forms-pro/ - I see a need for it! 

@Megan_V_Walker 

Thank you again - sounds like there is still hope.

I did try to creat a flow after watching one of your videos on YouTube.

However, I get stuck at the Get Details step - in your videos you have an expression that includes msfp_sourceresponseidentifier - when I try this I get an error

clipboard_image_0.png

I look forward to your blog post on the subject!

@smolcykr @Megan_V_Walker 

I am also having the same problem.  We don't have Dynamics.  I am trying to build a Customer Satisfaction Survey that we will send with our Order Confirmations.  If they click on the Survey Link, then they will see a personalized survey (using Survey Variables).  That part works great.  But I am stuck in the same spot as @smolcykr.  When I send the survey, I get nothing...Here's a screen shot.

Jake_Brown_0-1591729099418.pngJake_Brown_1-1591729112867.png

Jake_Brown_3-1591729291293.png

@Jake_Brown @smolcykr 

The first step should be the Common Data Service connector, not the Microsoft Forms connector. 

Try reading through this entire post and see if this helps:

https://meganvwalker.com/extracting-survey-variables-from-forms-pro-responses-without-access-to-cds/

@Megan_V_Walker ... Thanks for the reply.

I actually read that post several times :) but I still am not understanding this correctly.  I don't really need an invitation flow.  Whenever a customer places an order, our system sends out an Order Confirmation email.  We are going to include the link to the Survey in the same email.  It will basically have a Smiley Face, Unhappy Face and a "Meh" Face.  If they click either the Smiley or Unhappy face, it will launch the survey (it's actually 2 different surveys so we can more easily distinguish between happy and unhappy customers).  Having said that, where I thought I needed to pick up in your post was on the "New Survey Response Received" but that does NOT appear to be an option.  Everything under the CDS has "PREMIUM" listed.  

This is the reason I seem to be stuck.  Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Jake_Brown_0-1591731910714.png

@Jake_Brown  - my flow starts with "When a record is updated", the next step I have is "Get Record" 

smolcykr_0-1591732277150.png

The next step I have is the condition - tell it what survey - then what to do with it

smolcykr_1-1591732330775.png

I hope that helps

Thanks for the reply @smolcykr 

The problem I have is I don't have access to CDS.  It shows as a "PREMIUM" item and I guess our subscription doesn't have that. I'm hoping there is an alternative.

@smolcykr @Jake_Brown - it is indeed the 'When a record is created', and that step has simply been renamed. 

@Jake_Brown - what plan do you have for Power Automate? Unless you are using a free license that comes with Office 365, if you are paying for a license, you likely have access. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/powerapps-flow-licensing-faq 

Did you try and use that connector and it didn't work?

@Megan_V_Walker   

We have M365 E3.

It doesn't allow me to select that connector.  It's very frustrating as you can imagine.  

@Megan_V_Walker 

Ok...getting closer.  

I had to first choose PowerApps in order get access to the CDS.  I know this still isn't correct since it err'd.  But here is the flow at this point

Jake_Brown_0-1591742801814.png

It took a long time to go through the "When a record is created" step.  But it was successful until I got down to the "Get Response details" where it returned a 400 error code.

@Jake_Brown  - it looks like you need to tell it to Get the Record after the When a Record is created step. 

Basically, you have to tell the flow what to do after a new record is created - in this case - Get the Record

smolcykr_0-1591793721985.png

Then tell the flow which survey to get by using the condition

smolcykr_1-1591793900580.png

THe fx in the Response ID field of the Get Response Details step is

@{int(triggerBody()?['msfp_sourceresponseidentifier'])}

I hope that helps

@smolcykr Thanks for the reply!

I'm testing this now and I'm getting an error.  In the condition step, I assume the "Survey Name" is the Survey Name I am executing.  Then in the Get Response Details I choose the Survey with the same name.  Then I put in the expression you stated and I get the error.  

Jake_Brown_0-1591799458707.png

Another question...How does this Flow get saved with the Survey?  It seems that every time I go back to the Survey and make a tweak, I have to rebuild the flow.  I have saved it and named it but doesn't seem to "stick".  @Megan_V_Walker 

Ok...I found where to go back to my Flow. I get the following error...

Jake_Brown_1-1591803994405.png

And here is the setup....

Jake_Brown_2-1591804050081.png

I thought I had this figured out but this is where I'm stuck now.

I truly appreciate all the help you 2 have provided!!!

Still can't get past retrieving the msfp_sourceresponseidentifier.  This variable is not being past to my Get response details step.  Everything works to that point.  I see that variable in the Body returned from the "When a record is created" but not after that step.

Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.  You've been great with all the help so far!