Excel Spreadsheet not opening to show Forms responses

Copper Contributor

Hello, I was wondering if someone can help. We have created a survey using Office365 Forms but when we click on the 'Open in Excel' option we get the message 'Something went wrong'. This is only happening for some of the Forms and they have all been set up in the same way. We have checked permissions and browsers but no luck! 

Thank You. 

29 Replies

Did they tell you to do anything specific? Because I have the exact same problem. I contacted Microsoft support and opened a ticket but it's been 3 days now and they are still try to find a solution :(

It was a problem on their end and they pushed out a fix to us.  Nothing I could do on my end.

Same here. Need a fix.

How do I resolve this problem? We have created a survey using Office365 Forms but when we click on the 'Open in Excel' option we get the message 'Something went wrong'. This is only happening for some of the Forms and they have all been set up in the same way. We have checked permissions and browsers but no luck

A Solution for the "Excel not opening in Microsoft Forms"

When you open the forms in the browser, inside the URL you will find "DownloadFileSize=" that would have been mentioned some number greater than 3000. Change that value to 1000 or 1500.

This will break your result file as 1000 respondent per excel which will target for low file size and the excel will be downloaded.

- Sugan Rodrigo 

Hi There.

I've clicked every link in forms and I've opened every form I have, and every tab in forms. I can't see  "DownloadFileSize=" in any URL.

Are you able to screen shot your solution, just in case I'm missing something.

Mark

Dear Mark,

Let me help you with an example.

This will be your normal link for the survey :

https://forms.office.com/Pages/DesignPage.aspx#Analysis=true&FormId

This is where you can insert the download option : (Marked in Bold)

https://forms.office.com/Pages/DesignPage.aspx?DownloadFileSize=1500#Analysis=true&FormId

After Designpage.aspx insert "?DownloadFileSize=1500"

Insert this option and try again.

Regards

Sugan

thanks @Sugan_Rodrigo - worked for me!

Same here I created a form. Copied and pasted the form url. Completed the form. In responses tab, the form showed my responses. I went to sync'd with excel. Was able to open and save excel workbook on OneDrive. Went through same process adding an additional response but receive message "excel workbook missing" do you want to create a new one. NOOOOO I DON"T!