SOLVED

Drop down box and lists

Brass Contributor

I would like to see a drop-down box as an option. I created a choose a student and it lists 109 students. I would like it to be a drop-down option.

It would also be user friendly if I could just copy an excel column and paste it and each cell becomes a new option.

41 Replies

I second this suggestion.  In my classes, it would make data sorting easier if students could select what class period they were in (ex. B2 Honors World History, R3 AP Government). We also ask teachers to evaluate multiple students for NHS induction using the same form, and I would love to have them select a name from a drop-down box instead of relying on them to type the student's name accurately every time.

best response confirmed by Deleted
Solution

Hi Brian,

If you add more than 6 options, the choice question will turn into dropdown control automatically.

Please note that the dropdown control only supports single choice.

New update [July, 2018]

We have enabled a settings in choice question, so you could manage "dropdown" by yourselves.

Dropdown.png

Regards,

Zhongzhong

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll share the message with my team.

Regards,

Zhongzhong

Thanks, but I also noticed that the drop down box shows all names and you have to scroll down the whole page to get to the bottom if it's a long list.  Then if you choose the name you have to scroll back up to get to the next question.  Is it possible to include a scroll bar within the choices so you don't have to scroll down.  Definately is not user friendly with it. 

Hi Brain, thanks for the feedback. I have added FW the message to our engineering team.
I absolutely agree. I also have a large list to manage for courses, and automatically renders Forms useless for this use case. Would like to see it added ASAP. Thank you

Hi Has there been any movement on adding a scrolling option to the drop down list? I have a requirement for about 100 options. This makes the form not very user friendly.

I haven't used this for a while, but the last time I checked it still has not been updated.  I know google forms it allows you, but my school uses office 365 which limits what I enjoy using.  I also wish they would allow you to have the excel spreadsheet accessible and update as information is entered on forms.  But now, you have multiple steps to get it and share it.

This option should be available in mobile view.

It is only possible to use "drop down list" if its viewed on a desktop computer. If you view form as an end user on a mobile phone, it is not shown as a drop down. We need it to work on mobile phones as well

@Zhongzhong Li wrote:

Hi Brian,

If you add more than 6 options, the choice question will turn into dropdown control automatically.

New update [July, 2018]

We have enabled a settings in choice question, so you could manage "dropdown" by yourselves.

Dropdown.png

Regards,

Zhongzhong

@Zhongzhong Li 

@Lennin_Chavez Do you know if this option has been fixed? I am dealing with the same issue.

@Christopher Hoard would you be able to answer this?

Hi @Brian Dixon  and @Andrew Jennings ,

I found out how to add a long list as dropdown menu. I added 300+ names as dropdown list in seconds. I hope this helps.

1. Choose dropdown as question type on Microsoft Forms
  2. List all answers you would like to add as dropdown on an excel sheet
  3. On excel sheet, select all and copy (CTRL+C)
  4. Paste (CTRL+V) them to first answer option space on Microsoft Forms

Best,

Onur

Hi!@Bfullenwider, in in mobile view, not yet available.

It is only possible to use "drop down list" if its viewed on a desktop computer. If you view form as an end user on a mobile phone, it is not shown as a drop down. We need it to work on mobile phones as well

@Lennin_Chavez Hi do you know what is the limit of the drop down list? I have 750+ drop down menu items? 

Hi @SFreeman, You can find information about it here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Forms/Microsoft-Forms-Choice-question-Limit/m-p/172..., however I think the number of options available for the drop-down lists has already been expanded since I did a test with more than 100 options successfully.

@Lennin_Chavez Thanks!

@Zhongzhong Li 

Thank you for the information. It is very helpful.

However the drop down does not appear in mobile view. Can we have the consistency across mobile and desktop?

no drop-down list possibleno drop-down list possible

@Zhongzhong Li  The "drop-down list" does not pop us if the user selects the "multiple answer" option. Perhaps this could also explain why some people do not see this. 

Hi @NickVanMaele 

You'll need to turn off Multiple answers to see the drop-down list option.

The drop-down list only supports one selection at a time.

Edit: I should have added, maybe it should still show the drop down list option but grayed out or something to let the user know that they must turn off the Multiple answers switch.

Cheers

Damien

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Deleted
Solution

Hi Brian,

New update [July, 2018]

Dropdown.png

Regards,

Zhongzhong

View solution in original post