SOLVED

Creating a format restriction for a phone number

Copper Contributor

Is there a way to set up a format restriction for a Text field for a phone number?  For example, 123-456-7890.

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies
best response confirmed by JR2020610 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @JR2020610 

Microsoft Forms doesn't allow for that type of formatting unfortunately.

I'd suggest using the subtitle to show an example of the desired format to help responders fill it in right.

If you were using Power Automate to capture the results, you could also manipulate the number into a the desired format using an Expression.

Hope that helps with some ideas.

Best wishes

Damien

Thanks Damien!

Microsoft Forms stinks in this regard; however, my best practice is to require only numbers in the field and limit entry between 2000000000 and 9999999999.

When you download your results into Excel, convert the fields to numbers (because for some reason the results download as text) and then format the cells using the "special" option for a phone number to generate data such as (201) 555-1212, etc.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JR2020610 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @JR2020610 

Microsoft Forms doesn't allow for that type of formatting unfortunately.

I'd suggest using the subtitle to show an example of the desired format to help responders fill it in right.

If you were using Power Automate to capture the results, you could also manipulate the number into a the desired format using an Expression.

Hope that helps with some ideas.

Best wishes

Damien

View solution in original post