SOLVED

Combine Multiple MS Forms into one SharePoint List via Flow

Copper Contributor

Hello, I am trying to create a workflow for new hire requests.

• The HR Admin will enter a request via a MS Form and those responses will create a list item in SharePoint and also send an email to the hiring manager.
  • The hiring manager will be prompted to enter additional information via a Mgr MS Form. The HM responses will then update the previous list item created by the HR Admin.
  • All responses will then be sent to a distribution list for further action.

I have created both forms, the Sharepoint list and have created multiple flows, however, the Manager Form responses are not updating to previously created HR items. It is creating a new item instead.

The flow is below. Any suggestions? I am new to Flow and have been You Tubing and Googling to learn!

Flow.png

10 Replies

@abbeymiles sorry but that won't work, you can't use multiple forms in a single flow. You can only have 1 trigger, the "when a new response is submitted", which is then immediately followed by the "get response details" action. So what you've done is correct for the HR part and you've saved the response into a SharePoint list (we always do the same). However you then have a second "get response details" (without any trigger) but that will never work because it doesn't know which manager response to get. 

You will need to do 1 of the following:

1) get the manager to go into the item in the SharePoint list to complete their information - you can provide a link to it automatically in the email; or

2) in the email include the ID of the item created in the SharePoint list and ask the manager to enter that into a question in the manager form, for example the question might be "What is the ID?".  You would then need a second flow to run when the manager submits their form and get the item from the SharePoint list using a filter query of ID eq 'What is the ID?' (with that question selected from the dynamic content, not typed in), then have an update item action to update that item with the additional details that the manager is completing.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@RobElliot - thank you you much for your kind response! In regard to Option 1 you have proposed above: how do I generate a link for that specific form the manager to complete? I can see where I would add a link to the form, but want to make sure when the manager receives the email that they are completing the correct record.

Again - THANK YOU! I used to be able to do all of these things in InfoPath and it appears that this functionality no longer exists within the Microsoft platform. From what I've read, it seems to be a massive pain point for many users.

-Abbey
best response confirmed by abbeymiles (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@abbeymiles In option 1 it's not a link to a form it's a link to the specific item in the list for them to edit it with their info. In the email action you select the </> code view icon then add the following html code and select Link to item from the dynamic content:

Link to Item.png

Rob
Los Gallardos

@RobElliot - thank you so much! I really appreciate your thorough and quick response :)

@RobElliott so wil that link to the item for the MS form. So when the line manager fills in their info for will it relate to the actual item in the sharepint list? 

@Obayd_LD it will link to the item in the list that was originally populated by the data in the form.

Rob
Los Gallardos

@RobElliottI am also struggling with this issue and cannot get the data from the second form to fill in the MS List on teh same row. I have clearly set up somethign wrong but cannot work it out. Here is my flow, if you are able to provide some guidance please. Thanks in advance

flow issues staff review.jpg

@RobElliott I'm trying to recreate the steps you've outlined under 2 above but can't seem to get the filter query to work, any advice? Error details: The API 'sharepointonline' returned an invalid response for workflow operation 'Get_items' of type 'OpenApiConnection'. Error details: 'The API operation 'GetItems' is missing required property 'body/value/0/Vendor_x0020_Business_x0020_Addr'.'

Tscott64_1-1705101861096.png

@Tscott64 I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve with the get items action but your filter query is incorrect; you've entered ID eq but then there's some dynamic content from the form. The form doesn't know what the SharePoint list ID is. Are you asking the user to enter the SharePoint list ID into a question in the form?

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User.
Principal Consultant, SharePoint and Power Platform WSP Global (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@Rob_Elliott Thank you for the reply. The user is entering the ID of the item created in the SharePoint list on an MS Form. I was trying to follow the instructions you listed in this post but must be missing a step: “ …in the email include the ID of the item created in the SharePoint list and ask the manager to enter that into a question in the manager form, for example the question might be "What is the ID?".  You would then need a second flow to run when the manager submits their form and get the item from the SharePoint list using a filter query of ID eq 'What is the ID?' (with that question selected from the dynamic content, not typed in), then have an update item action to update that item with the additional details that the manager is completing.”

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by abbeymiles (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@abbeymiles In option 1 it's not a link to a form it's a link to the specific item in the list for them to edit it with their info. In the email action you select the </> code view icon then add the following html code and select Link to item from the dynamic content:

Link to Item.png

Rob
Los Gallardos

View solution in original post