SOLVED

Cancel a form based on answers?

Iron Contributor

Is it possible to cancel the form based on answers from branching?

For example if you answer Yes to a question it continues on but if you selected No it would cancel the form and not let you submit? If you create a custom response section that says "sorry your request was cancelled due to answer" there is still a Submit Form button at the end.

8 Replies
best response confirmed by Marc Laflamme (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Marc Laflamme no there is no way at all to do that with Forms.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

Thanks Rob.

@Marc LaflammeThe answer to this has either 1) changed since 2020 or 2) is more complicated than Rob stated.

Using Branching and Sections, you can make Forms do this.

• Create a new section with title and subtitle explaining why the survey ended.
  • Use branching to indicate to go to the section based on response.
  • At end of section, use branching to go to the end of the form.
  • Be sure to use branching to tell what to do if the survey didn't end, so that respondents don't accidentally end up on the "survey ended" section.

Here are some pictures:

This first one shows general question setup.

MSUM_Clifferton_0-1689966100077.png

This next one shows the branching required to make it work.

MSUM_Clifferton_1-1689966209108.png

I'm sure you are already done with whatever project, but wanted to update for future visitors.

@MSUM_Clifferton thanks for the update on this.

I wish I could remember what I was using Forms for that prompted this question though! haha.

@MSUM_Clifferton 

I have inserted a section advising the responder cannot progress any further and then added branching directing them to an additional section which says they must go back and consult with their manager if they selected "no". I've then added branching on that new section to "end of form", but the Submit button is at the end of the form - so they can still submit. It doesn't stop the form.

This helped immensely - thank you!

@Naomi75 indeed, my earlier answer still applies; there is no way within the form to cancel it and whatever you the submit button will still be there. You could suggest they close their browser tab but that's not really a solution.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User.
Principal Consultant, SharePoint and Power Platform WSP UK (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

Hi @Rob_Elliott,
Thank you - that's ok. I've created a couple of workflows instead that if they answer "no" and then still hit "submit" they will receive an email telling them they're submission has been rejected.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Marc Laflamme (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Marc Laflamme no there is no way at all to do that with Forms.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

View solution in original post