Can forms integrate with Active Directory?

Copper Contributor

I am new to Forms and would like to set up the ability for any internal corporate users that complete the form to have their username from AD auto-filled in the form, or in the response.  However, I cannot find where AD can connect to Forms.  Is this possible?

24 Replies
If you use the "Only people in my organization can respond" option when sharing the form, you get a column added to the responses for e-mail address and Name which both pull from Azure AD on the responses sheet when they submit their form entry, they do not see this it just auto populates in the back end.

@Kara Brake - The form automatically knows your AD information when launched by you.

Good point everyone, but no one really answered the question.   Put another way - "Can Forms integrate with AD (or Azure AD) and provide a way to update user information fields.  Specifically from the "job info" and "contact info" pages?   Just my two cents.  

@TwinCessna not directly but it should be do-able via a flow in Power Automate:

formsAzure.png

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

Can you get a field in the that when selected by a user, they can search Azure AD and get the AD user details. As I have the situation, where by a teacher will be completing the form for a student, whose details will be selected from AD and updated on the form. Is this possible, if so, how can it be done please. Kind regards
Brian

I am looking to do something similar as well. I would like to have a drop down that I can search for team members in my organization. Example:

AaronMina_0-1644293373682.png

And when I select the name, I would be able to get their email address.  I would like to use this email address to use in Power Automate to send out an email to them.

@BrianHarry1730 no, that's not possible.

Rob
Los Gallardos

@AaronMina y0u wouold have to add them to the dropdown manually /copy&paste. There is no way to programmatically add them or do any sort of lookup.

Rob
Los Gallardos

@RobElliott  That is what I definitely do not want and would be cumbersome.  :|  

I would have to add the entire company and then keep it up-to-date manually?  Is there another process that you can suggest?

@AaronMina if all your users that you want in the dropdown are internal then you could build a form in Power Apps which has the Office 365 Users actions and can look up all staff in your organisation. But with Microsoft Forms it's not possible. I did this recently as shown below and we get the user to enter the first few letters of the name or email  and then the dropdown on the right is populated. We need to filter it that way because we have 65000 staff:

staffDropdown.png

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

Your example is exactly what I am trying to build for our HR team! I will look into Power Apps and see how I can accomplish this. Thanks!

Is there a template you used for this or is it all created from a blank app?

@AaronMina it was all done from a blank app with a SharePoint list as the data source. After the user enters the first few letters of the name in the inpNominee fielld, the items property for the dropdown the code is Office365Users.SearchUser({searchTerm:inpNominee.Text})

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@RobElliottThanks for that!

I see there is a template for "Shout outs"  I am going to mess with that to see if that fulfills my requirements, but will definitely look into some more custom work.  There are other teams that can make use of this as well. 

What a nice hidden utility!

@AaronMina this is exactly what I am trying to create as well. An employee recognition tool that finds all the employees in the AD and also finds the relationship with its direct manager so it can send an email automatically once someone gets recognized in their team. 

What is the exact name of the template you found? I havent seen the "Shout out" you mentioned. 

Thanks!

@sarahtchechel When you go into the PowerApps from the list of Apps your company uses:

AaronMina_0-1649700209583.png

Click on Create

AaronMina_1-1649700254863.png

Then search the templates:

AaronMina_2-1649700308604.png

I would suggest selecting tablet, but create one of each to see the differences yourself:

AaronMina_4-1649700463341.png

I haven't had too much time to play around with it, but it seems like it is alright.

It integrates within Teams:

AaronMina_3-1649700410225.png

Hope this helps out.

I was looking for exactly this! So after the user clicks on his/hers name then could it be possible to auto populate Job Title, Manager and other fields in Power Apps using data from Azure Active Directory?

@HasanZobaer-Cahill yes, that's what my app does.

Rob
Los Gallardos

@RobElliott That's absolutely amazing! I have been looking into doing exactly that but I am unable to figure out how. It has almost been a month since I have been working on the Power App

(SharePoint -> Integrate -> Customize Forms).

My App looks something like this -

HasanZobaerCahill_2-1654877931809.png

The "Employee Full Name" works fine as I used the "Person" type in "Add column" in SharePoint but I am unable to figure out a way to automatically fill up Job Title, Supervisor (manager), Company name, and maybe even email upon selecting the user

This is where I am trying to get the data from. Azure AD.

HasanZobaerCahill_1-1654877041264.png

Could you please help me out with this. Or any guide or documentation. I would really appreciate it!

Yours sincerely,

Hasan Zobaer

Can you please guide me on how to auto populate selected user's Job title and manager / Supervisor please, I really need help or guidance on this been looking for it for weeks.