Allow quiz retake after posting grades

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am trying  to figure out how I can allow users to retake a quiz after the grader posts their grades.  Currently, they can use the shared link to retake the quiz as many times as they need, but once I post the grade for one of the submissions, that same link displays the quiz results and feedback only.  So, even though I have enabled multiple responses per user, they are not able to submit any more responses after the grader has posted the grade.  This means that if we want learners to retake a Forms quiz after reviewing feedback, this is impossible. 

This is a huge miss on the part of Forms, and shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how people learn and the importance of being able to act on corrective feedback and fix mistakes for increased retention.  I'm sure most teachers have experienced how learners rarely reviewed their feedback in depth unless they also have to correct their errors and turn it back in.  

The question for me then becomes, what's the point of having the ability to provide feedback at the question level if that feedback isn't going to be acted on?  And, creating multiple copies of the same quiz and providing students with multiple links for every attempt just creates unnecessary clutter and confusion for everyone involved.  

The other option is to delete the student's submission altogether which doesn't seem very fair either - then it's impossible to show how a student has learned from one attempt to another, and makes it impossible to refer to feedback of the first attempt to know what the student was supposed to fix in the second attempt.

To summarize,  "multiple responses per user" only works before grades are posted, but not after.

1 Reply

Hi @MaRayn 

The only workaround I can think of for your issue would be to copy the quiz and share the new link if someone needs to do it again. It'll be exactly the same except all the results are blank so it's a fresh start for all.

Certainly not ideal, but once you post the results you cannot do another submission. 

The other way to go could be to not post the answers but then they wouldn't see your feedback so that may not help.

Hope something in the above gives you an idea to run with?

Cheers

Damien

P.S. You could frame the scenario as the first quiz is Practice #1, and then Practice 2#, Final #3 or something to help the responders understand how you are structuring things?