SOLVED

Adding additional information to Microsoft Forms

Copper Contributor

Is there any way to create a form that can be updated as more information becomes available? 

Situation is this:

We need a form to create an initial alert about an incident. Then once we have done an interview, we need to go back to the form and fill in more information about the incident.

Creating a flow doesn't quite help. It does enable me to create the notification about the incident. But. while you could create a flow to fill in a [new] form - I can't find a way to get the form pre-filled (with the previous information) or return to the original form and fill in the additional information. 

Any ideas for how to work around this? I don't think Microsoft Forms is the solution but looking for something in the Office365 suite of products to help. 

3 Replies
best response confirmed by KBarrett2 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Kathleen @KBarrett2 , Forms is only part of the solution to your scenario. It's good for the initial incident report but you can't later go back into the form and add additional information. Forms doesn't have that functionality.

What we do in my company is to use a flow in Power Automate to pick up the form response and add it to a list in SharePoint. The same flow sends a confirmation email back to the submitter with the details of what they submitted and also, if necessary, sends an email to the person who needs to know that a new form has arrived.

Then whenever additional information needs to be added this is done in the SharePoint list, usually with a customised form in Power Apps as that allows you to do more than the default SharePoint form.

The advantage of using SharePoint is that it gives you an audit trail of everything that's been done on each item, you can have several people adding information into the form if you need to and it's a more robust solution that just using Forms or the spreadsheet behind the form.

I'm about to go into a meeting so won't post them up now, but if you want to see screenshots of how this all works (and it does work very well) just let me know.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

Did you post this information as I would find it extremely useful? Thanks.

@RobElliott 

Thanks for your reply @RobElliott 

Using SharePoint and Power Apps sounds like a good solution to my problem. I will greatly appreciate if you could update me with the screenshots on how to do this. That would be wonderful as I was unable to replicate this myself.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by KBarrett2 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Kathleen @KBarrett2 , Forms is only part of the solution to your scenario. It's good for the initial incident report but you can't later go back into the form and add additional information. Forms doesn't have that functionality.

What we do in my company is to use a flow in Power Automate to pick up the form response and add it to a list in SharePoint. The same flow sends a confirmation email back to the submitter with the details of what they submitted and also, if necessary, sends an email to the person who needs to know that a new form has arrived.

Then whenever additional information needs to be added this is done in the SharePoint list, usually with a customised form in Power Apps as that allows you to do more than the default SharePoint form.

The advantage of using SharePoint is that it gives you an audit trail of everything that's been done on each item, you can have several people adding information into the form if you need to and it's a more robust solution that just using Forms or the spreadsheet behind the form.

I'm about to go into a meeting so won't post them up now, but if you want to see screenshots of how this all works (and it does work very well) just let me know.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

View solution in original post