Enable notifications from this app -> Something went wrong. Please try again later.

Steel Contributor

I am trying to enable notifications on the Microsoft Authenticator. When I authenticate in a browser on my PC, I receive a notification to enter a code displayed in the browser on my phone without entering a password (I assume this is passwordless?). However, if I open a browser on my phone and do the same, I do not receive a notification and I have to open the authenticator app separately to show the number input field.

 

Is this following sequence normal behavior, or is something misconfigured? What does "Upgrade your account" mean"?

1. Open Authenticator app:

IMG_0021.PNG

 

2. Tap on "Enable notifications from this app to get notifications for passwordless phone sign-in" (what does "Upgrade your account" mean?:

 

IMG_0022.PNG

 

3. Error:

 

Kiril_0-1668770603881.png

 

11 Replies

Look through the settings in AAD. Make sure the policy is enabled and configured properly.

https://portal.azure.com/#view/Microsoft_AAD_IAM/AuthenticationMethodsMenuBlade/~/AdminAuthMethods

 

The combined registration must be enabled for passwordless too. It's supposed to be enabled by default from October, but I've seen some delays in other tenants.

 

The prerequisites are determined by your selected passwordless authentication methods

Might it's my misunderstanding - what does "Enable notifications from this app to get notifications for passwordless phone sign-in" exactly mean? I currently have passwordless sign-in enabled and it works. I just don't get the Push notification on iOS notification center. When I open the app I can there is a authentication request where I need to enter a double digit number.

Microsoft Authenticator policy and the combined registration are enabled in our tenant.
Must be the iOS settings, i.e., your Authenticator app settings for notifications?

@ChristianJBergstrom Yes, notifications are on. Do you know what the exact functionality of this is:

 

Kiril_0-1669277726164.png

 

Never seen it so don’t know. Hence my guess of the push notifications for the app on your mobile device. I don't know what else it could be. Have multiple accounts and none have it. Reinstall the app and start over from scratch. Verify the setting in the Authentication methods policy to passwordless too.

@Kiril I had the same issue. Cause: User reported Fraud alert. You find this within Multifactor authentication in Entra portal. Solution: You have to Unblock the user.

 

This will be you solution. You're welcome! 

@Kiril Did you ever get it figured out?   I'm experiencing the same issue.   If so, could you please describe how you solved it?  Thank you

@Matthew Miles same here. Until I enabled option 'Enable phone sign-in' MS Authenticator shows notifications, after enabling it no notifications.

'Enable notifications from this app to get notifications for passwordless phone sign-in' throws an error as described above.

The user is not locked or risky or something.

It does not matter if device is managed or not.

 

I think it has to do with the following log entry in AAD:

 

Authentication requirement: Multifactor authentication
Status: Failure
Continuous access evaluation: No
Sign-in error code: 500014
 
Failure reason: 
The service principal for resource '{identifier}' is disabled. This indicate that a subscription within the tenant has lapsed, or that the administrator for this tenant has disabled the application, preventing tokens from being issued for it.
 
Additional Details: MFA completed in Azure AD
No, still need to open the app for the notification. When you enter a password, then it works as expected, but using the app login does not trigger a notification.
I was getting the same error code 500014, and not finding anything really to help. I tried something last night, and got it to work finally. I found two enterprise applications from the Azure portal that were disabled. What's strange is that neither of these applications are listed from the Entra portal under Enterprise Applications.

Anyway, here's how I got it to work. From the Azure portal https://portal.azure.com/, search for Azure Multi-Factor. I found two applications. Azure Multi-Factor Auth Client and Azure Multi-Factor Auth Connector. Both of these applications were disabled. I just enabled them, and it just started working. Hopefully this will be the solve for you.

That was it indeed, good catch.
If one reads the error message thoroughly it suggests this as an issue :\
After enabling both those ent. apps I can enable the option in MS Auth now
and I am receiving notifications.

(Btw. you can see those two ent apps in AAD as well just remove the filter)