Google Authenticator app & Office 365 MFA

Copper Contributor

Is it possible to use the Google Authenticator iOS app with Office 365 MFA instead of the Microsoft Authenticator app?

I tried adding to Google Authenticator with both QR code and manually but got failures each time.

25 Replies
My Experience where I worked they have conditional access enabled and it no longer allows the use of Google Authenticator it is MS Authenticator only no other options are presented that enable the use of Google Authenticator. To say the least I am disappointed.

@Chuck2021 

I've just configured the login with GA following those easy steps (android):

https://rockit.cloud/2020/01/18/instructions-to-enroll-for-office-365-multi-factor-authentication-us... 

Notice that using GA you will not receive a push asking for permission, you will have to enter the code manually when logging.

Just be aware that Admins of a tenancy can disable being able to do this, which is what happened in my case.
Hi,

I read through this, but the option to "Configure App with no Notifications" does not show. Is there some config I'm missing?

For the next person that stumbles upon this, this is still supported but it defaults to the Microsoft Authenticator.

When adding a sign-in method, choose "Authentication app," then on the next screen choose the "I want to use a different authenticator app" link at the bottom of the window, then you can use Google, Authy, etc.

I had the same issue; when prompted randomly to add an Authenticator, the option is not available. I'm not sure what update or policy change triggers getting prompted to add an Authenticator, but we only started getting them in October 2023.

You can still use any Authenticator app by manually going to Office.com -> Click Avatar -> View account -> Security Info tile -> +Add sign-in method -> Authenticator app -> I want to use a different authenticator app.

This is the method I just used 10th November 2023 and it produced a QR code that works with all authenticator apps; I used the Google Authenticator app.