Domain Verification for Microsoft Account App in Azure AD for Azure B2C

Brass Contributor

Hi, not sure if this belongs in Doc's Q&A , here or stackoverflow for AAD.

Do I need to have a Microsoft partner account so that the B2C Login app I created for Microsoft accounts says verified or is that just for the blue tick?

Per Create a Microsoft account application Step 2 from Set up sign-up and sign-in with a Microsoft accou... You need to make an application in your Azure AD Tenant (not the B2C Tenant). I've done this and the tenant has a verified domain, but it still says 'unverified' when signing in with a Microsoft account. Publisher domain is set to the verified domain of the AAD Tenant.

I know that Features not applicable in Azure AD B2C tenants says publisher domain verification isn't available but:

1. I take that as referring to the apps that B2C will be used to sign you into, not the app you need to create to allow Microsoft accounts to work with B2C

2. The app to make Microsoft accounts work isn't in the B2C Tenant

3. The domain is already verified

How do I get this app for B2C (that isn't in a B2C Tenant) domain verified?

2 Replies

@LT22  This unverified message is to deter malicious actors trying to impersonate a company.

Below is more information on how to remove this message from your consent screen when using Microsoft accounts-

Unverified will be shown on the user consent screen for new app registrations unless the (1) publisher domain was verified and (2) the company has verified their identity using the Microsoft Partner Network verification process and associated it with the application. Read more about that change here. Below is some guidance on how to address the new requirement. Note that the publisher domain only shows in an B2C user flow when using a Microsoft Account or other Azure AD tenant as identity providers.

1. Verify your company identity using the Microsoft Partner Network  - this process verifies information about the company and primary contact for the company.
  2. Mark your app as publisher verified - associates your app with the verified MPN. There are two options:
    1. If the app registration for the Microsoft Account identity provider is in an AAD tenant, follow these instructions to verify it in the app registrations portal.
    2. If your app registration for the Microsoft Account identity provider is in a B2C tenant, see this document to see how to mark your app as publisher verified via Microsoft Graph APIs (can use Graph explorer). 

Thats the problem. I am not a Microsoft Partner. I have worked for Microsoft Partners and I know thats not the what they want my current complany to become. It may be a use case oversight in the implimentation of verification. But if i'm using B2C for Microsoft accounts, I should be able to at least get domain verification (I understand no blue tick and no company name).