Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

Differences between AAD P1 and P2

Copper Contributor

What are the main differences between P1 and P2? Also how does  P1 and P2 work when you have a mix of E3 and E5 365 licenses?

Thanks

3 Replies
best response confirmed by mpsquared (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @mpsquared ,

please, see here: Azure AD Multi-Factor Authentication versions and consumption plans | Microsoft Docs

Mostly, it's about security. It provides Risk-based conditional access, Identity protection (risky users, risky sign-ins), access reviews, and Privileged Identity Management (PIM).  

Microsoft 365 E5 includes P2, but if you have another subscription that doesn't include P2, you can purchase it separately. 

Thanks @Adin_Calkic for the information. So I take it, if I have a mix of E3 and E5, P2 features would only be enabled for my E5 users?

Hi @mp3984 ,

Here is something you should know. From my experience, Microsoft still does not count the number of licenses you apply to each user (at least P1 and P2). In other words, if you have 10 users and you only use P2 on 5 of them, then the other 5 will also be covered. 

However, this is not the correct way to do it. You should have a license for every user. Microsoft can audit you anytime.

Also, Microsoft 365 E3 only comes with P1. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by mpsquared (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @mpsquared ,

please, see here: Azure AD Multi-Factor Authentication versions and consumption plans | Microsoft Docs

Mostly, it's about security. It provides Risk-based conditional access, Identity protection (risky users, risky sign-ins), access reviews, and Privileged Identity Management (PIM).  

Microsoft 365 E5 includes P2, but if you have another subscription that doesn't include P2, you can purchase it separately. 

View solution in original post