Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

Azure app to always ask for MFA

Iron Contributor

Hi all,

We have an Azure APP that we want to always ask for MFA code. This is a sensitive app that requires connecting from outside our LAN.

Right now, our service settings is set to allow users to remember MFA on devices they trust for 30 days.

I need to bypass this and force the users to always enter credentials every time they login to the app.

Is there a way to do that?

Thanks, Rahamim.

8 Replies

Afaik you cannot. @Daniel Stefaniak was just discussing a similar scenario on another board, perhaps he can tune in here as well.

@Vasil Michev 
in genera prompts are bad for security:

https://duo.com/blog/usability-is-security-the-future

https://duo.com/blog/part-1-usability-is-security. We will not let you compromise your security posture by breaking fundamentals of SSO

This isn't about breaking SSO, I need a way to give the user a prompt for credentials because the azure app is sensitive and my users don't always come from a trusted computer.
Think about it like always using Skype for business plug-in when adding to the URL "?sl=1".
Thanks, Rahamim.
best response confirmed by RahamimL (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@RahamimL you can set MFA policies per app if you have Azure AD P1/P2 using conditional access. However, AFAIK it can not be used to overrule the "remember MFA for 30 days".

Thanks, @Nestori Syynimaa 

@RahamimL .. were you able to get past this? I agree, 30 days is a bit much for sensitive apps.
We use a different method - We force users to use only azure joined or hybrid joined computers with conditional access. this allows us to control how people will use high risk apps.

@RahamimL .. Thanks!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by RahamimL (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@RahamimL you can set MFA policies per app if you have Azure AD P1/P2 using conditional access. However, AFAIK it can not be used to overrule the "remember MFA for 30 days".

View solution in original post