Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

Access to File Server without VPN

Silver Contributor

With all of the new and improved feature of Azure AD and its associated services, can anyone tell me if it is possible to access/open a file from an on-premises file server without using VPN?
The exact use case involves a user performing a search in SPOnline that displays on-premises results (a hybrid search) and then being able to open the file without making a VPN connection.  

3 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
While it's probably not exactly what you're looking for, wouldn't DirectAccess address this so the user doesn't have to make a VPN connection?
Thanks for the suggestion, I had forgotten about this option. I have refreshed my memory and I'm going to present it to my client.

Hey, Our team (VertexGraph) has been working on a software solution that enables easy secure remote access to Windows file servers without VPN, you can check us out here: https://vertexgraph.com/secure-remote-file-server-access .

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
While it's probably not exactly what you're looking for, wouldn't DirectAccess address this so the user doesn't have to make a VPN connection?

View solution in original post