Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Default exclusions in Suspicious communication over DNS SA

Microsoft

You asked, we listened!

Since releasing the Suspicious communication over DNS alert in preview mode, we’ve heard from many of you and worked to improve accuracy and reliability.

From today’s version (v2.54), 3 common domains customers were excluding are now excluded by default.

SusDNSexclusions.pngTo change this configuration, go to the Exclusions page and add or remove as needed.

As always, we welcome your feedback, suggestions, and ideas about how to improve your Azure ATP experience.

Thanks,

Tali

8 Replies

What is the basis for adding those particular domains? They aren't "common" for us at all, so I removed them.

Do you intend to add other domains in future? If so will we be notified somehow, e.g. via O365 Message Center?

Hi Paul,

These 3 domains are the most popular in organizations with Azure ATP, most of Suspicious communication over DNS alerts were opened on them. In addition we observed that these 3 are also the most popular domains customers excluded from this alert. All 3 domains are known domains which owned by known companies that send to the domains data regarding their applications.

e5.sk - Eset

sophosxl.net - Sophos

spotify.com - Spotify

Therefore we decided to exclude these 3 domains by default, which will help for a lot of customers from doing it by their own, and give an option to remove it for others.

If we will see such similar need in the future to exclude more domains by default we will do it, and currently the communication channel is through the communities and it will also be updated in Azure ATP release notes.

Thanks,

Tali

I don't really agree with the decision but thank you for the clarification. 

@Tali Ash Is there complete documentation containing a list of all default domain names in Microsoft's exclusions?

We're still generating the alert multi-times daily for excessive ('suspicious) sophosxl(.)net and e5(.)sk despite having modified the policy with our own exclusion. Our exclusions appear to be just be ignored by the policy. 

The list of exclusions is what you see in the exclusion list.
There are no overwrites in the code.
Not sure what you mean by "your own" exclusions, do you mean that the above 3 were removed from the list?
How exactly did you induce suspicious communication over dns ?
Just sending a simple DNS query will not suffice to trigger, doesn't matter how many times.

Hi @Eli Ofek 

Here's the screenshot of our alert (taken this morning, but generated every ~hour) showing that both domains trigger/induce the alert for both sophosxl.net and e5.sk:

NivDolgin_1-1640869538442.png

And selecting "Adjust Policy" allows an admin to create domain exclusions. Originally, this policy listed no domains (was blank) until I added the domains in the screenshot (below). I've also experimented with wildcard characters but saw no change in behavior (i.e., *.e5.sk or %.e5.sk). Despite our efforts, this policy seems to ignore domain name exclusions:

NivDolgin_2-1640869946830.png

Any suggestions?

@Niv Dolgin 

In the native portal it should look like this by default:

EliOfek_0-1640871413780.png

If the list is empty it means it was cleared since the workspace was created.

We exclude them by default as they are considered  harmless and very common.

In the new security portal it should look like that:

EliOfek_1-1640871629003.png

It seems that your screenshot is coming from Cloud App Security policy rules which are a different thing.
I suggest you try to modify it using the native MDI portal <workspace>.atp.azure.com or using security.microsoft.com.
Make it look like the pictures I added and you should be OK.

Thank you @Eli Ofek! I thought the customized domain exclusions in the MCAS policy were kept in sync with the MDI exclusion lists - my mistake.

Looks like the default sophosxls and spotify domains are missing from the MDI exclusions, although e5.sk is present. I'll proceed to add them back and monitor the MCAS alerts, thank you for the prompt reply. 

NivDolgin_0-1640881552666.png