Azure ATP sensor instalation error.

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I have a problem with installation AATP on one of my DC.

- .NET ok

- no NIC Teaming

- no proxy

Error 0x80070643: Failed to install MSI package.

Microsoft.Tri.Sensor.Updater:
2020-06-26 11:33:20.2760 Error PerformanceCounterLib System.InvalidOperationException: Category does not exist.
at CategorySample System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.GetCategorySample(string machine, string category)
at string[] System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterCategory.GetCounterInstances(string categoryName, string machineName)
at new Microsoft.Tri.Infrastructure.MetricManager(IConfigurationManager configurationManager)
at object lambda_method(Closure, object[])
at object Autofac.Core.Activators.Reflection.ConstructorParameterBinding.Instantiate()
at void Microsoft.Tri.Infrastructure.ModuleManager.AddModules(Type[] moduleTypes)
at ModuleManager Microsoft.Tri.Sensor.Updater.SensorUpdaterService.CreateModuleManager()
at async Task Microsoft.Tri.Infrastructure.Service.OnStartAsync()
at void Microsoft.Tri.Infrastructure.TaskExtension.Await(Task task)
at void Microsoft.Tri.Infrastructure.Service.OnStart(string[] args)

Microsoft.Tri.Sensor.Deployment.Deployer:
2020-06-26 10:51:10.4126 Error ServiceControllerExtension ChangeServiceStatus failed to change service status [name=AATPSensorUpdater status=Running Exception=System.ServiceProcess.TimeoutException: Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed.
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.WaitForStatus(ServiceControllerStatus desiredStatus, TimeSpan timeout)
at Microsoft.Tri.Infrastructure.ServiceControllerExtension.ChangeServiceStatus(String name, ServiceControllerStatus status, TimeSpan timeout, Nullable`1 awaitedStatus)]
2020-06-26 10:52:11.5056 Error ServiceControllerExtension ChangeServiceStatus failed to change service status [name=AATPSensorUpdater status=Running Exception=System.ServiceProcess.TimeoutException: Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed.

2 Replies

@pawelliebich You are missing the "Network Interface" performance counter category. you can verify it in perfmon.exe.

make sure the category was not disabled, and if it's not, you might need to rebuild the counters.

thanks @Eli Ofek  I had the same issue. When I ran perfmon.exe I had the error popup:

"Unable to add these counters:

\Memory\Available MBytes
\Memory\% Committed Bytes In Use
\Memory\Cache Faults/sec
\Memory\Cache Faults/sec
\PhysicalDisk(*)\%Idle Time
\PhysicalDisk(*)\Avg. Disk Queue Length
\Network Interface(*)\Bytes Total/sec"

So for those not familiar on how to rebuild the counters here is the process:

1. Launch Command Prompt as Administrator.
2. Change Directory to "C:\WINDOWS\System32"
3. Then rebuild your resource counters by typing the command: lodctr /r
4. This will rebuild your counter values, it can take some time to complete.
5. Then you can verify by rerunning perfmon.exe again, and should start without an error
6. Now you should be able to install the ATP Sensor as normal