Microsoft Entra Suite Tech Accelerator
Aug 14 2024, 07:00 AM - 09:30 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Web access performance issue when enabling network protection

Brass Contributor

Hi, this is another issue by following the upgrade to 4.18.23050.5 for fixing the Web content filtering issue. (The previous post can be found from Here .

After upgraded to 4.18.23050.5, the web content filtering has backed to be working again, but now I've just noticed that another web access performance issue, the website loading time in the first time access from a 3rd party browsers are extremely longer than before.

Has anyone got the same issue?

My current MDE version is:

AMEngineVersion : 1.1.23060.1005
AMProductVersion : 4.18.23050.5
AMServiceVersion : 4.18.23050.5
AntispywareSignatureVersion : 1.391.1600.0
AntivirusSignatureVersion : 1.391.1600.0
FullScanSignatureVersion : 1.385.1482.0
NISEngineVersion : 1.1.23060.1005
NISSignatureVersion : 1.391.1600.0
QuickScanSignatureVersion : 1.391.1418.0

33 Replies
Microsoft now have an 'advisory' for this under defender in admin centre.

Here's a direct link for everyone:

Issue #DZ615064 

Things of note:
Start time: Wednesday, May 31, 2023 at 10:00 AM GMT+10

DZ615064, Last updated: 30 June 2023 at 5:39 am AEST
Estimated start time: 30 June 2023 at 4:52 am AEST

Took a month before Microsoft even acknowledged it
Is the updated engine of Defender rolled out to any of the tenants yet? As per Microsoft Engine: 1.1.23060.1005 was scheduled to be updated today. Is it also the same for MacOS?
We don't have network protection turned on for MacOS if that's even an option for Macs, so not sure if they're affected or not.
We have it turned on for MacOS users and some of them reported the delay so we tagged with this issue.

@Spark Zhang 

Goto Endpoint Security - Antivirus and edit the profile.

Select Engine Update Channel and Platform Update Channel as Beta. Security Update Channel can be Current (Staged). Wait for some time. Do a system update on client PC. You will get Version 4.18.23060.1012. This should work.

Abhilash Pottekat

We are not in Beta Channel yet. I have to check the next feasibilities.
I see the next update is again scheduled on next Tuesday which is kind of making it worse and almost a month later that it was acknowledged by MS. Though the issue is being reported before that time :(
Next update by: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 12:00 AM GMT+2

@Sudipa We're pushing the Preview Channel to those that are complaining, seems to be working for them, but agreed, Microsoft should have rolled back to the previous version themselves as soon as complaints started rolling in, and then gone through the full release cycle again with the new version.

@MarkA-G 

This is still causing a lot of our clients issues. Microsoft has been really slow out of the gates to address this in a meaningful way. Chrome is still basically unusable when network protection is enabled and its been over a month. 

Latest update from Microsoft

July 25, 2023 at 7:29 AM GMT+10

Final status: We've completed deploying the fix to the impacted environment and confirmed with internal testing and validation that the issue is resolved.

This is so ambiguous update. Does anyone know what is the fixed version? Is it released for MacOS and Windows both? What does it mean "impacted environment"?

Here's the update for our case with Microsoft which clears up some of the ambiguity.

I have good news to share as our Defender Product Group released an Out-Of-Band (OOB) update, version 4.18.23050.9, which has already been released to a broad channel. This means that you should be able to see the new version today.

We kindly request your assistance in monitoring the status of platform version from impacted devices. Please let us know if any issues arise during or after the upgrade process.

For devices that have already been upgraded to 4.18.23060.x, we recommend keeping it as it is, and no further action is required.

Thanks for the update Mark. I have just checked with couple of users with the issue. The Defender gets upgraded post the reboot and the browsing is better post the upgrade to version 4.18.23050.9