SOLVED

Server 2012 R2 and Server 2016 EDR Sensor Version Information

Copper Contributor

I'm a little confused about the EDR sensor version (MsSense.exe) for Server 2012 R2 and Server 2016. When I look at this article, is says that by applying the update it will update the sensor version to version 10.8210.22621.1011. The article was published months ago and addresses a vulnerability from March 2022 (CVE-2022-23278). However, the article then links you to KB5005292. On this page it says the latest version is 10.8049.22439.1084 and was last updated on 7/31/2022. How can this latest version from July 2022 be older than the version mentioned in the article that was published back in March?

In short, how can a version that was released in March 2022 (10.8210.22621.1011) be newer than the latest version which was released in July 2022 (Version 10.8049.22439.1084). It would help if I could find a list of all EDR sensor versions for Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2019 and their release dates.

Thank you!

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Christopher__ (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi, this KB #, like Defender antimalware platform updates, always remains the same. The update package gets released periodically with bug fixes and is currently rolling out gradually so you found a moment in time between versions...

We are publishing a new page shortly in the MDE documentation with what's new per version, hopefully this will help clarify.

The reference to the CVE essentially only applies if you are on an old, preview version.

I will attempt to modify the text in the KB article to make all of this a little bit more clear - it will also contain a link back to the what's new article (pending, coming very soon!).
Thank you! It is very much appreciated!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Christopher__ (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi, this KB #, like Defender antimalware platform updates, always remains the same. The update package gets released periodically with bug fixes and is currently rolling out gradually so you found a moment in time between versions...

We are publishing a new page shortly in the MDE documentation with what's new per version, hopefully this will help clarify.

The reference to the CVE essentially only applies if you are on an old, preview version.

I will attempt to modify the text in the KB article to make all of this a little bit more clear - it will also contain a link back to the what's new article (pending, coming very soon!).

View solution in original post