Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

"Block Flash activation in Office documents" Security Recommendation

Brass Contributor

It seems like the security recommendation for the "Block Flash activation in Office documents" actually does the opposite of what is intended and overrides the disabled-by-default ability to load Flash components in Office documents.

The guidance states the following:

Remediation options

Set the following registry value:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\COM Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}\activationfilteroverride

To the following value: 1

According to this Microsoft article [ Flash, Silverlight, and Shockwave controls blocked in Microsoft Office ], this is exactly what you'd do if you wanted to override the already disabled component.

3 Replies

@Philip Kluss this looks like a question for the office forum, not Microsoft Defender ATP or am I mistaken?

@Heike Ritterit is a security recommendation in Windows Defender ATP.  I would say it does belong here.   Affects your security score.  If it is enabled incorrectly we all need to know.

@Heike Ritter wrote:

@Philip Klussthis looks like a question for the office forum, not Microsoft Defender ATP or am I mistaken?

best response confirmed by Philip Kluss (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Philip Kluss,

Thank you for your message.

We had a mistake in checking the expected value.
the problem already solved and you should see the correct recommendation in the portal.

Thanks,

Haim

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Philip Kluss (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Philip Kluss,

Thank you for your message.

We had a mistake in checking the expected value.
the problem already solved and you should see the correct recommendation in the portal.

Thanks,

Haim

View solution in original post