Microsoft Defender update for Windows operating system installation images - Signature update

Microsoft

We have requirement that all machines should have antimalware signature less than 7 days old. For the fresh virtual machines, the VHD doesn't have latest signature before the first auto-update, so we plan to use the tool provided here Microsoft Defender update for Windows operating system installation images to update our VHD once a week. 

However, this tool is updated monthly which means the signature is not up-to-date, is there a similar tool we can use to update the antimalware signature at least once a week?

4 Replies
I am not aware of any Microsoft supplied tools that could do this more often. The platform updates are only released once a month. Of course the signatures are released more often so you can download them manually and look for other ways of deploying them.

Btw, forcing a manual update will download new definitions immediately. I know it’s not perfect but why not trigger this once the image is made available to a user? And then run the monthly updates using the tool you mentioned.

@pvanberlo We are maintaining an image which is being used constantly, so it should always be available. I guess in this case, I will have to download the signature manually, could you point me to the doc of downloading the signature? Thank you! 

You could look into Azure DevOps
Spin up the image each x days, force updates and create a new image