SOLVED

Microsoft Defender for Enpoint for macOS Licence Issue

Copper Contributor

Hello Community,

this is my first post here.

I am trying to get Microsoft Defender for Endpoint running on a mac and it won't work licence wise.

The app is correctly installed by Intune but the little Defender-icon in the top right corner rest with an "x" asking for a login:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-02 um 16.43.22.png

The corresponding account of the user has an M365 E3 assigned. The prompt answeres that there is no such account with that email or phone number:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-02 um 16.47.05.png

The little hint talking about the intention to login with a company or school account

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-02 um 16.55.53.png

presents the following window telling the user that the licence will be pushed...at some time...

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-02 um 16.44.26.png

The same user already has a Surface Pro which is registered and it appears in the device list Microsoft Defender Admin Portal...but the macOS device is not listed there.

Other users with E3 licence succesfully use the Defender App on an iOS device also listed in M365 Defender Admin Portal.

Can someone assist here? Is there more needed than the E3 licence to use Defender for Enpoint on a macOS device?

Regards,

MOP-2762

3 Replies
You need to pause all antivirus on the machine then it will work

@Mphatso20 

Thanks for the comment but the machine is (several times now) from a virgin set-up with nothing on it than what is provided by Intune (which is company portal and MS Defender)...

Ans macOS does not have a built-in Antivirus that accidentially could be active in the background...

best response confirmed by MOP-2762 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

solved....!

for whatever reason the configuration file was stuck and did not run the payload to register the device in the Defender Portal...I did not count but the last one of the full enrollment processes with a completely new system setup was successfull!

Thanks to everybody who made their mind!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MOP-2762 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

solved....!

for whatever reason the configuration file was stuck and did not run the payload to register the device in the Defender Portal...I did not count but the last one of the full enrollment processes with a completely new system setup was successfull!

Thanks to everybody who made their mind!

View solution in original post