Microsoft Defender for Endpoint is a IPS or IDS service?

Copper Contributor

Hi!

I'm new to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint and Network Security, so I need help. I've been researching whether MDE can work as an Intrusion Detection System or Intrusion Prevention System, but haven't found anything. Can someone help me?

1 Reply

@morterastephanie 

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint (MDE) is a security solution that provides protection against malware and other advanced threats for devices running Windows, macOS, and Linux. While MDE does not offer traditional IDS or IPS, it does include several features that can help detect and prevent intrusions.

• Behavioral-based threat detection: MDE uses machine learning and behavioral analysis to detect malicious activity on devices, even if it doesn't match known malware signatures. 

• Network protection: MDE includes a firewall and network protection features that can detect and block malicious network traffic, such as attempts to connect to known command-and-control servers or other malicious IP addresses.

• Advanced hunting: MDE includes advanced hunting capabilities that allows to search through device and network event data to identify potential intrusions and other security threats.

• Endpoint detection and response (EDR): MDE includes EDR capabilities that allow security analysts to investigate and respond to security incidents on individual devices.

MDE is not designed to replace traditional IDS/IPS solutions but rather to complement them and provide additional layers of protection. Depending on your organization's requirements, you may need to use other security products to ensure that all the necessary intrusion detection and prevention capabilities are covered.