SOLVED

Help with machine is using out of date antimalware client version in the organization script

Copper Contributor

This is the script provided by Microsoft to know which machine is using out of date antimalware client version in the organization:

//check the antimalware client version
DeviceFileEvents
|where FileName == "MsMpEng.exe"
|where FolderPath contains @"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\"
|extend PlatformVersion=tostring(split(FolderPath, "\\", 5))
//|project DeviceName, PlatformVersion // check which machine is using legacy platformVersion
|summarize dcount(DeviceName) by PlatformVersion // check how many machines are using which platformVersion
|order by PlatformVersion desc

I need to fine tune it to users at domain level, ie we have users in DfE from several domains, and I want to filter reporting back on just the one domain, so in the example in BOLD below, I wanted all users for 'contoso' domain, but results are ZERO, any ideas pls as to what I am doing wrong?

//check the antimalware client version
DeviceFileEvents
|where FolderPath contains @"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\"

| where InitiatingProcessAccountDomain == "contoso"

//|project DeviceName, PlatformVersion // check which machine is using legacy platformVersion
|summarize dcount(DeviceName) by PlatformVersion // check how many machines are using which platformVersion

4 Replies
@AmjadGov

Please see if the below query works:

DeviceProcessEvents
|where AccountDomain contains "contoso"
|project DeviceName, PlatformVersion // check which machine is using legacy platformVersion
| where AccountDomain contains "bp") on PlatformVersion
Hi @AnuragSrivastava,
Thanks for this, I noticed the extra line further down "| where AccountDomain contains "bp") on PlatformVersion" was that a typo?
I removed and tried, but no luck, btw the reason I had used 'InitiatingProcessAccountDomain' is because that field in a previous script displayed the domain that I was looking for.
Many Thanks
@AmjadGov
That was just a dummy keyword for domain name. Presently I could also "nt authority" in the domain name field and not the actual domain name.
best response confirmed by AmjadGov (Copper Contributor)
Solution
That didn't work, but thanks for trying. I managed to find another way to fix the issue. As the device name also contains the UPN, I used the follow example to get it to work:
|where FileName == "MsMpEng.exe" and DeviceName contains "contoso"
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by AmjadGov (Copper Contributor)
Solution
That didn't work, but thanks for trying. I managed to find another way to fix the issue. As the device name also contains the UPN, I used the follow example to get it to work:
|where FileName == "MsMpEng.exe" and DeviceName contains "contoso"

View solution in original post