Defender for endpoint P1 license and defender for server p1

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

Appreciate your advice for below:

1. If customers have multiple shared devices which will log in by different front link workers, how do they license the shared device with a defender for endpoint license?

2. Any prerequisite for window defender for the server and how a customer can assign the license to the server?

Thank You.

8 Replies

Hi @Tiffany614,

Thanks for posting your questions, I will try to answer them for you.

1. If customers have multiple shared devices which will log in by different front link workers, how do they license the shared device with a defender for endpoint license?

With Microsoft Defender for Endpoint P1, eligible licensed users can use Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Plan 1 on up to five concurrent devices.

Source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-defender-for-endpoint/microsoft-defender-for-endpoi...

2. Any prerequisite for window defender for the server and how a customer can assign the license to the server?

Microsoft Defender for Cloud
Yes, there are prerequisites. If you are using Microsoft Defender for Cloud, and you have enabled it for Servers. The servers will be automatically licensed for Microsoft Defender for Endpoint.

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint for Servers (standalone)

To license servers with MDE for Servers license, you cannot add the license to the server. Purchase the same amount of licenses as you have onboarded serves on MDE. Furthermore, customers with a combined minimum of 50 licenses for one or more of the following may acquire Microsoft Defender for Endpoint (server) licenses (one per covered Server OSE): Microsoft Defender for Endpoint (per user), Windows E5/A5, Microsoft 365 E5/A5 and Microsoft 365 E5 Security User SLs.

Source: https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/terms/productoffering/MicrosoftDefenderforEndpointServer/EAEAS

I hope this is helpful for you. If there are any questions, please let me know.

Thanks Tiennes!

1. What's the best way to license Windows and Defender for Endpoint for shared PCs used by First line workers? The goal is to avoid having to assign an individual E5 license to multiple users who are gonna be using the same PC.

2. Do you mean:
- I will need to quote a defender for endpoint for the server
- Microsoft Defender for Endpoint for Servers is for licensing purposes only?
- Are defender for endpoint Plan 1 / M365 E3 (since it come with defender for endpoint plan 1) consider the prerequisite of the defender for endpoints for server?

Hi@Tiffany614,

1. What's the best way to license Windows and Defender for Endpoint for shared PCs used by First line workers? The goal is to avoid having to assign an individual E5 license to multiple users who are gonna be using the same PC.

In the ultimate situation, a computer is associated with a user. The user is provided with a Microsoft 365 E3 + Security E5 or Microsoft 365 E5 license and thus MDE is provided with security at the workstation.

In the case of a shared workspace, the principle remains the same and each first-line worker should have a valid Microsoft license. In case this is not done, the computer will remain secure, but I wonder if you are compliant with Microsoft's license requirements.

Although I must say that Microsoft's documentation is very unclear about the license requirements for this particular case.

- I will need to quote a defender for endpoint for the server

Yes, if you do not use Microsoft Defender for Cloud you have to buy an MDE for Server license per server.

- Microsoft Defender for Endpoint for Servers is for licensing purposes only?

Yes, you will see the (unassigned) licenses in your Microsoft 365 admin center.

- Are defender for endpoint Plan 1 / M365 E3 (since it come with defender for endpoint plan 1) consider the prerequisite of the defender for endpoints for server?

No, you must have a minimum of 50 licenses (may be combined) Windows E5/A5, Microsoft 365 E5/A5, and Microsoft 365 E5 Security User SLs. See for more information: https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/terms/productoffering/MicrosoftDefenderforEndpointServer/EAEAS.

With Regards,

@Tiffany614,

If one (or more) replies were helpful for you or answered the question. Please, mark that particular reply as your answer so that you help the community. Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, "Microsoft Defender for Endpoint for Servers (standalone)" licenses are being phased out as of September 2022, and buying new licenses is currently not possible.
From now on, Defender for Servers will be the only license for servers.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/defender-endpoint/minimum-requirements?view...

"The standalone versions of Defender for Endpoint Plan 1 and Plan 2, even when they are included as part of other Microsoft 365 plans, do not include server licenses. To onboard servers to those plans, you'll need Defender for Servers Plan 1 or Plan 2 as part of the Defender for Cloud offering."

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/servicedescriptions/microsoft-365-service-descriptions/m...

"Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Server

As of September 2022, Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Server is no longer generally available for new customers."

@Jonhed 

There are Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Server subscriptions that have been set up to auto-renew on 23rd February, but this product is end of life. The question is whether these subscriptions will still auto-renew for the next term or if they will expire.

Hi @Jonhed,

I do not know for sure. As per this topic: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-defender-for-endpoint/defender-for-endpoint-p1-lice... you cannot buy new or renew the standalone licenses of Defender for Endpoint.

It’s recommended to license your server through Microsoft Defender for Cloud. On-premises servers can be on board and through Azure Arc.

I’m currently migrating our customers from the standalone license to the MDFC licensing model and did not encounter a renewal yet, so please let us know how the renewal goes.
Not sure if we have discussed renewal with any existing customers, but at this point I only consider MDC/Defender for Servers for any new customers, for sure.