Defender for Endpoint on Linux - Full Configurations

Copper Contributor

When configuring the settings for MDE on Linux ( Set preferences for Microsoft Defender for Endpoint on Linux | Microsoft Docs ) it doesn't look like you can configure "all" of the settings. For example, this page says there is a setting for enabling/disabling behavior-monitoring. It says to place the "behaviorMonitoring" key to "enabled" in the managed JSON configuration file (/etc/opt/microsoft/mdatp/managed/mdatp_managed.json). However, whenever I do this the "mdatp health" command doesn't show that it works. This seems to be the case for multiple settings. It looks like you can only use this management json file for a few of the settings. However, there are others like behavior monitoring, network protection, etc. that don't seem to work. How are you supposed to manage all of the settings on MDE for Linux if only a certain amount of them configurable in this json config file? I know you can set them manually with "mdatp config network-protection enforcement-level --value disabled" for example. However, if you use something like Chef, you are supposed to use the json config file but it doesn't look like it's possible to manage all of the settings this way. I supposed you could mange some of the settings with this json file and others manually do but seems odd. Any advice is much appreciated.

1 Reply

I'm noticing the exact same issue outlined by Christopher. There are settings that simply will not hold when set through Puppet. This appears not to have been documented and is severely limiting.

Can Microsoft take a look at our comments and somebody from that team advise on what your customers are meant to do?