Cannot download Onboarding package

Copper Contributor

Hello, we're having problems when trying to download the Defender onboarding package. Tried different OS, different deploying methods but within a second of clicking Download onboarding package we get a popup saying "Client Error. Failed to get APK url from server"

Anyone seen this before?

7 Replies

Hi @Lokaalin,

here are some troubleshooting steps that may assist you:

1. Verify Minimum Requirements:
    Make sure that your devices meet the minimum requirements for onboarding to the services.

2. Onboarding Tools:
    If you've completed the onboarding process but don't see devices in the Devices list after an hour, it could signal an onboarding or connectivity issue.

3. Inspect Event Viewer:
    Navigate to the Event Viewer by clicking Start, typing "Event Viewer," and pressing Enter. Look for WDATPOnboarding events under Windows Logs > Application.

4. Check SENSE Logs:
    In the Event Viewer (Local) pane, explore Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > SENSE.
  5. Install Windows Defender Server Role:
    Ensure the Windows Defender server role is installed on the server before attempting to download the onboarding package.

Troubleshoot Microsoft Defender for Endpoint onboarding issues | Microsoft Learn

Troubleshooting MDE On-Boarding issues - Microsoft Community Hub

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

@LeonPavesic Hi Leon, thank you for that. The problem occurs when trying to download the onboarding package itself from the portal. 

Hi @Lokaalin,

thanks for the update.

you can use the following steps:

1. make sure your internet connection is stable. Unstable connections can lead to download failures.

2. try with an alternative web browser or clear your current browser's cache and cookies.

3. review your firewall or antivirus software settings, as they might be hindering the download. Ensure they are not blocking the process.

If these steps do not resolve the issue, I recommend contacting Microsoft Support for more in-depth assistance.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

Hi! I had the same problem, new inkognito browser and disconnect from company VPN solved my case.
Ran into this problem - this also solved it for me.

It seems you're encountering an issue when attempting to download the Defender onboarding package, with a popup message stating "Client Error. Failed to get APK naruto senki latest version URL from server." This problem could stem from several common issues. First, there might be a temporary server-side issue preventing the download, so checking the service status page or contacting support could provide more information. Second, ensure your network connection is stable, as a firewall or proxy might be blocking the request; trying a different network or reviewing your network settings could help. Additionally, clearing your browser's cache and cookies, using incognito mode, or switching to a different browser might resolve the issue. Make sure you have the necessary permissions to download the package, as administrative permissions may be required. Lastly, verify that your operating system and browser are up to date to avoid compatibility issues. If these steps do not resolve the problem, contacting the Defender support team with detailed information about the error and your environment would be advisable.

We need an option to mark replies as "clearly written by a language model AI and even worse generally meaningless."