SOLVED

ASR: Block abuse of exploited vulnerable signed drivers

Brass Contributor

Hey there,

I am seeing a recommendation to apply the ASR Rule as listed above. It looks like a fairly new edition to the series of 16 ASR rules that can be configured.

However, on closer inspection there doesn't yet appear to be an Intune/Endpoint Manager option to add this under the standard Endpoint Security / Attack Surface Rules section.

There's an "Intune name" and a GUID but... I don't want to push this out via a MEM OMA-URI, it fractures where all the policies are kept and makes things messy.

Can I ask when it is expected to have this baked into the main Attack Surface Reduction rules section?

Seems a bit daft to make recommendations to implement the setting across all your endpoints when it's not as easy as all the other rules to actually implement?

Thanks very much.

James

29 Replies

@James_Gillies  I just got through the same path. You are right, this rules is not present in the WebGUI but it is yet configurable. Here's a good blog post about this : Configuring ASR Rules in Intune and how to automate it with PowerShell (call4cloud.nl)

best response confirmed by James_Gillies (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@James_Gillies we have not added this ASR Rule to the MEM ASR rule configuration profile.  We have plans to add this configuration option so you don't have to use OMA-URIs so stay tuned.

Thanks,

Jake

Thanks Jake, that's great news. Will keep an eye on the MEM ASR rule configuration profile / announcements!

@Jake_Mowrer Hi Jake, any ideas on when this rule might be added to InTune? Thank you.

@Jake_Mowrer - we are also very keen for this ASR rule to be added to the MEM ASR Config Profile and don't want to start implementing OMA-URIs to remediate security recommendation in MSDE
We are also waiting for this ASR rule, any news on this?
@Jake_Mowrer In our experience neither the OMA-URIs or PowerShell command to enable this ASR rule work when deployed using Intune and Tamper Protection is enabled in MSDE. All although ASR rules have been applied successfully using the MEM ASR rule configuration profile.
That should have said "All other ASR rules have been applied successfully using the MEM ASR rule configuration profile."
Hi Jake, our customers and us are also very interested in having this in the UI.
The initial request was already half a year ago. ;)
I have the same experience, I have all other ASR rules set in an Endpoint Security policy and when trying to enable this rule via any method it simply doe snot work and the vulnerability recommendation stays. Seems that if there was a plan to add this to the WebGUI as stated above in October 2021 is should be here by now??

@robert_welsofd we recently managed to resolve this by removing all ASR rules from Endpoint Security as well as any ASR rules included under a Security Baseline profile and then used a Configuration Profile (Settings Catalog) to define all 16 (from recollection) ASR rules. After about 24/48 hours we then saw a significant improvement under MDE Security Recommendations and after 3-5 days we had 100% compliance on all ASR rules for all devices.

It appears to me that Configuration Profiles (Settings Catalog) are much more reliable at enforcing these controls than the GUI provided under Endpoint Security which is supposed to make management easier.

Hope this helps as it worked for us and we have now successfully rolled this out to a number of customers and now have a Device Secure Score of over 90% (our goal is to get a 90% score across all 3 categories in Secure Score)

I am happy to share screen clips etc if it helps so just reach out

Note- the key (and where we got stuck) was all ASR rules need to be defined in a single place and if you don’t remove the ASR rules from Security Baseline and Endpoint Security then the Configuration Profile did not appear to take affect and was trumped by one of the other policies

@mcoombe I've found something very interesting:

Have anyone tried creating a new Policy inside of Endpoint Security?

After creating a new rule there is whole new layout of the items, including a new item: Block abuse of exploited vulnerable signed drivers (Device)"

edit: in the "Target" column the new policy has the entry "mdm,microsoftSense" instead of "mdm".

This could go along with server management i guess?

:)

@PatrickF11 

Thanks,

Just have checked that. 

I have a similar problem. Using the new GUI location in Endpoint Manager, recommendations never update. however, I have verified that the rules are actually in place on the client PC;s. My score, however, sucks and the remediations are still showing that the ASR rules aren't deployed. Most annoying.

@James_Gillies  Has there been an update to this and does the new version mdmsense work correctly. I have matched both policies and was thinking about switching to the new one. Does anyone have experience with the results of doing this?

@LG-Niceguy 

Hi, I swapped our policies over into a new mdmsense Intune policy, seems to work fine - no issues so far, change was made about 2 weeks ago now.

I am happy to hear that. I will give it a try.
We switched our ASR policy over to the new "modern" MEM policies that target mdm and MicrosoftSense about 1 month ago. MEM enrolled devices successfully receive the policies however devices like servers that are only enrolled in MDE (MicrosoftSense) do not yet receive these policies and we have had to use our RMM tools to deploy the ASR policies via PowerShell. Hopefully in the future devices that are only MDE enrolled will also get these policies (as the target of mdm,microsoftsense suggests they should)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by James_Gillies (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@James_Gillies we have not added this ASR Rule to the MEM ASR rule configuration profile.  We have plans to add this configuration option so you don't have to use OMA-URIs so stay tuned.

Thanks,

Jake

View solution in original post