MS Defender for Cloud Apps and Chrome

Copper Contributor

I have been looking at MS DCA and trying to get it to work with Chrome. Chrome is our standard browser and there is a desire not to change this. MS Defender for Endpoint is integrated with MSDCA. I have found an article that said that it won't work with an upstream proxy so I have disabled it. This has caused apps to be discovered when using Edge but not Chrome. I found information on controlling where chrome would allow the user to browse to, so I have setup a configuration profile for Network Protection in InTune/MEM and applied it to my machine - this is in audit mode. This hasn't made a difference. I have found a chrome extension "Microsoft Defender Browser Protection" and this feels like I am clutching at straws. My Google fu has let me down :( Can anyone advise where I am going wrong please? Why won't MSDCA see my Chrome browsing?

3 Replies

@brew_John as long as the machine is not behind a proxy I would expect to see traffic with both edge and chrome.  We are also working on supporting traffic behind a proxy as well which should be available in the near future.

In this case though, I would recommend opening a support ticket so it can be investigated.

@Keith_Fleming Thanks Keith it's nice to know that it's not my Googlefu failing me but an actual issue

Hi John, there's a microsoft accounts plugin you can use with chrome and additionally you can use conditional access to route the traffic for all cloud apps to defender for cloud apps for monitoring, like described in below link.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/defender-cloud-apps/session-policy-aad