Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

How do I get 50 Azure Defender to protect windows servers on premise?

Copper Contributor

There is supposed to be a license that I can acquire that allows me to protect 50 server VM's on-premise?  Talking to my reseller and searching online brings up references but nothing specific.

Anyone take advantage of this license and using it?  What were the pre-requisites you had to satisfy?

5 Replies

@HPUbooker 

Hi Eulogio,

Azure Defender for Servers is paid on a per node/per hour basis (currently $0.02 or €0.017 per server and per hour). There is no flat fee for onprem servers, and charges apply when a server is running, only. More details can be found in the pricing calculator. Features that are covered with Azure Defender on Windows servers are listed here.

Best regards,

Tom Janetscheck

Senior Program Manager

CxE | Azure Security Center

@Tom_Janetscheck 

Thanks for the info.

I think I was confusing defender by itself and defender with atp.  I started this research journey because we've had Kaspersky for 5 years now and always turned off the Microsoft antivirus.  So my goal was to just get a few of my servers protected with azure defender, antivirus only, instead of Kaspersky to see how that works but also wanted to manage the antivirus centrally. So I ended up just jumping right into ATP with azure security portal.  When all I wanted to start with was managing Defender on servers.

@HPUbooker 

I think we need to clarify the wording: Azure Defender is the Cloud Workload Protection Platform (CWPP) built into Azure Security Center, whereas you seem to be referring to our antimalware solution (SCEP/Microsoft Antimalware/Microsoft Defender Antivirus). Antimalware for Azure VMs is part of Azure Security Center without additional cost. For on-prem servers, you will need to onboard them to Azure Defender.

Best,

Tom Janetscheck

Senior Program Manager

CxE | Azure Security Center

@Tom_Janetscheck 

Your response plus this https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/?p=91813 seems to make things clearer.

When you mention onboarding on-premise server to Azure Defender, is that free? "Managing" on-prem servers in the Azure Defender portal.

Ok disregard my last response. I will try to figure out how to onboard my on prem vm's to azure defender. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/azure/security-center/quickstart-onboard-machines#add-non-azure-mac...