Enroll only selected servers in Azure Defender

Copper Contributor

We have 7-8 different subscriptions and have 1000s of VM. I have enabled Azure defender for Cloud for my subscription. However I want to exclude azure defender for selected servers (Vm's). Is it possible to do that ? 

6 Replies
Since Defender for Servers can only be enabled at the subscription level or higher (management groups or tenant) currently it's not possible to exclude certain servers from protection. We are considering providing more granular onboarding experience in the future. However, it's possible to control what servers get onboarded to MDE (which is one of the Defender for Servers features) by using Azure Policies we recently added:
[Preview]: Deploy Microsoft Defender for Endpoint agent on Windows virtual machines
[Preview]: Deploy Microsoft Defender for Endpoint agent on Linux virtual machines
[Preview]: Deploy Microsoft Defender for Endpoint agent on Windows Azure Arc machines
[Preview]: Deploy Microsoft Defender for Endpoint agent on Linux hybrid machines
Please keep in mind that in this case you would need to disable the integration with MDE in the subscription settings to disable auto onboarding of all VMs in this sub.

@Stanislav Belov 

Does this mean the MDE integration is not required from a license standpoint?

Also, what kind of a delay would one be looking at, from resources being added to the policy scope until the extension is deployed?

Hello everyone, I would like to see if we can already specify the virtual machines that we want to apply in Defender or are all the virtual machines of the subscription still selected @Stanislav Belov @Stanislav Belov 

Defender for Servers still can only be enabled at the subscription level.

@Usayyad 

There is a way to enroll specific VMs only and the way this was done was by creating different VNETs that allowed only selected endpoints to be accessed. These VMs are essentially blocked from accessing the Internet while the rest of the servers are allowed access to the Internet. 

Hope this helps.

Juan

That will exclude them from MDE onboarding, but they will still be accruing costs according to the uptime, since the defender for servers plan will be active.