Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Antimalware Hybrid Licensing

MVP

With Microsoft Antimalware for Azure you get to license Servers in Azure, but in hybrid Scenarios whare customers havent moved all their workloads. Whats the Microsoft aproach to license Defender or Antimalware for Operating Systems older than 2016  like Windows Server 2008 R2 / 2012 / 2012 R2 and so on.

Is there any other new way to license this than with the System Center Configuratoin Manager Client ML or System Center Licensing for an example is it included in Azure Security Center?

8 Replies

@Yuri Diogenes: Is this something you can speak to?

Hello @Ryan Heffernan , unfortunately I don't know the answer here since antimalware license is not my domain. I will send this question to the right PM internally and will CC you.

Guys any update on this?

I guess customers will have to go with System Center Licensing as it doesn't seem to be any license method for licensing Hybrid Workloads, I see this as a blocker for Azure Adoption.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Defender-ATP/Protecting-Windows-Server-with-Windows-D...

Hello @Stefan Schörling , sorry the delay. In summary (update now): Microsoft antimalware service in Azure is not SCEP. It's Microsoft antimalware for Azure. SCEP is system center endpoint protection and the only way you get it / deploy it is via system center.

@Yuri Diogenes yes for Servers in Azure we have the licensing but I am talking for Servers onprem, are you stating that SCEP in free for them as well?

/S

@Stefan Schörling the info that I received from the Antimalware PM was for Azure, but let me double check again and see if applies to on-premises as well. 

@Stefan Schörling - got more details from the Antimalware PM:  Microsoft antimalware service in Azure is not SCEP. It's Microsoft antimalware for Azure. SCEP is system center endpoint protection and the only way you get it / deploy it is via system center (not free).