Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

Microsoft Defender capability matrix

Iron Contributor

Hello

I found a detailed overview of Microsoft Defender ATP with the different editions of Windows 10.   As a courtesy, I've added that overview as and attachment below.  

We're onboarding customers that still have older versions of Windows as well.  I'm wondering if anybody has experience running MD ATP on a patched Windows 7 device?   Or if a comparable matrix for legacy operating systems is available somewhere?   

This overviews rocks for Windows 10 !!!  I hope it helps you guys and hope somebody can help me as well. 

Cheers

David

10 Replies

@David De Vos David, I recently found out that you have to install Windows Security Essentials on your Win 7 devices in order to get them to work with Defender.  Give that a try. 

best response confirmed by Kasia Kaplinska (Microsoft)
Solution

@David De Vos thanks for the hint I googled new version of Windows 10 commercial edition comparison Intelligent Security pdf dated "Published April 2020 v1909" here

link

Your copy was "Published 2019.03.01 v1809"

@Sergg 

Thanks for showing your Google search skills.  But the PDF you added included "less" information and it didn't help me at all?   The question I had was related to none Windows 10 versions.   The new version you find on google is 3 pages shorter when if you check? 

But again .. thanks for sharing & caring.

@David De Vos  I'm searching for the same thing. I assume you had no luck? 

@David De Vos the one shared by Sergg is our latest one. It's shorter because we collapsed some of the security sections that contained capabilities that were only in E5. 

@BenMurphyCyberCX  Unfortunately not ...

@Kasia Kaplinska  The essence here is that I wasn't looking for any information related to windows 10.  I was asking the same matrix based on Windows 7 SP1.  Appearantly a very hard question?  :)

@Sergg @Kasia Kaplinska 

How is this a response to the original question??   Did you actually read my question??

Funny thing ... 

David, there isn't a prebuilt matrix for MDATP & Windows 7.

MDATP itself is supported on W7, but Attack Surface Reduction is not
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/microsoft-defender-atp/attack-su...
Microsoft Defender ATP is a unified endpoint security platform for preventative protection, post-breach detection, automated investigation, and response.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Kasia Kaplinska (Microsoft)
Solution

@David De Vos thanks for the hint I googled new version of Windows 10 commercial edition comparison Intelligent Security pdf dated "Published April 2020 v1909" here

link

Your copy was "Published 2019.03.01 v1809"

View solution in original post