Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection license requirements

Copper Contributor

hi

i am asking what is the requirements  t to  have wdATP  if i have win10 M365 A3

regardless of other azure ATP services

8 Replies

@mohamed1510 

Licensing requirements

Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection requires one of the following Microsoft Volume Licensing offers:

• Windows 10 Enterprise E5
  • Windows 10 Education A5
  • Microsoft 365 E5 (M365 E5) which includes Windows 10 Enterprise E5
  • Microsoft 365 A5 (M365 A5)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/microsoft-defender-atp/minimum-r...

This monday Microsoft has released a standalone SKU for MDATP.

Microsoft is removing the Windows E3 license pre-requirement from Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection (MDATP). CSP partners will be able to purchase MDATP for all their supported client devices, regardless of their Windows E3 license ownership. To enable this business model, Microsoft has launched a standalone offer for CSP, and it is now available. In addition, there is no change to existing Windows E5, Microsoft 365 E5 Security, and Microsoft 365 E5 offers as those offerings will continue including MDATP.

Standalone Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection (MDATP) offers are available in Enterprise Agreement (EA) from February 1, 2020.

SKU
QLS-00003
Description
Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection

SKU
QLU-00002
Description
Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection EDU

@PereiraMan  I spent many hours working on this with Microsoft Support.  In the end they tell me that I can only purchase this stand alone license through a partner.  However, they did grant me a trial period which I was able to extend by 90 days.  When I first did the trial is was for 30 days.  It then expired and they sent me an email asking me to purchase it.  I followed the link in the email and there was no way to select that product.  I could only select the "Microsoft 365 E5 Security" product for $12 a month.  Our portal does not show the stand alone Windows Defender ATP for $5.20.  I also asked them about mixing non enterprise products for users.  They said as long as it allowed me to purchase it that it was "legal."  I have some enterprise users and some non who don't require all of those features.  In the end I am just going to have to add the $12 E5 Security to all of my users.  

For some users we have this config:

• Microsoft 365 Business Premium $20 /Mo
  • Enterprise Mobile + Security E5
    $14.80
  • Microsoft 365 E5 Security $12

But I also see that we could have specified just Microsoft 365 Business Standard
$12.50 / Mo.

What am I missing? 

@mohamed1510 Hi

This guide tells everything about Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection License requirements

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/microsoft-defender-atp/minimum-r...

I hope this helps!

@RuskinF so I see from that chart that we just need the Microsoft 365 E5 Security add on.   Thanks 

@RuskinF  Microsoft was unable to answer what I needed for my AWS server on Server 2008.

In addition to the prior answers, you can also find the licensing requirements in the Microsoft Defender for Endpoint setup guide, specifically go to the Requirements section.

The MDE setup guide in the Admin Center simplifies the deployment of endpoint security for IT Admins.

Note: If you don't have Microsoft 365 admin permissions, open the guide in a test or POC tenant to get instructions.