Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Outdated browser and operating system user agent tags

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Does anyone know how the outdated browser and operating system user agent tags are determined?

I'm running Windows 10 1809 which has Edge 44.17763 and EdgeHTML 18.17763, which MCAS considers as outdated. It's technically not the newest version, but it's still a supported version.

It would be nice if I can configure how outdated the user agent can be (e.g. 6 months) when setting up a policy to match on outdated user agents.

3 Replies

@FredContrata112 

Thank you for your feedback.

We updated the logic of the mechanism that detects outdated operation systems/browser, so it shouldn’t be outdated anymore.

@Tomer_Amir 

Thanks for the response.

I think it'll be beneficial to others if there's an option to configure how outdated a user agent can be for triggering policies. While it's ideal to be at the latest browser version, it's not always possible to be at the latest. For example, I might be OK with a browser being 3 months outdated but want alerts on anything older than 3 months.

@FredContrata112 you can create an activity policy that is triggered based on a user agent string, and by that get a similar functionality to the scenario of specific user agents.