Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

MCAS REST API Cloud Discovery Data

Brass Contributor

The REST API doesn't seem to expose Cloud Discovery data, this would be extremely useful for reporting with external tools. Is there a way this can be achieved? Is this roadmapped?

6 Replies
We have been exploring exposing cloud discovery through our REST APIs. How were you thinking of using the data? Do you have a specific scenario in mind?

@danbenj Primarily Power BI reports for to summarize and correlate app usage data for delivery to an applications team, so they can query shadow IT and provide verdicts on sanctioning status of apps. I can also see a use case for data flows between an ITSM and MCAS.

This can be done manually now via CSV exports, but it's a pain, and everything is nicer when it's automated and repeatable.

@thehadricus thanks for the detailed response. We are currently looking at adding in an API endpoint for discovery data that will allow you to achieve that.

I do have a good suggestion for you though. MCAS has a built in integration with Sentinel that already receives discovery data. Sentinel has a connection with PowerBI with MCAS pre-built reports. How about trying that and sharing your feedback?  

Good suggestion, however we currently aren't using Sentinel and it would duplicate functionality of our existing SIEM.
best response confirmed by thehadricus (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Got it. I believe that Discovery data would be available through our API by the end of Q1 2021. 

@thehadricus have you managed to get mcas api discovery log data directly into power bi yet?
I was hoping you could share the power query you have used to achieve this?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by thehadricus (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Got it. I believe that Discovery data would be available through our API by the end of Q1 2021. 

View solution in original post