unable to change or set admin role for a staff member in Microsoft Bookings

Copper Contributor

Hi to all,

We are having difficulty setting up Microsoft Bookings. We added staff members and everything works except for one member: we added the staff member wit the role of Administrator (in Bookings) and it changed to Guest. It can't be changed to Administrator. Though, for the other members, everything worked as expected: so we now have two users with the same exact product (Microsoft Business Essentials), same exact roles set up in the 365 Admin panel, but one of them can be made Administrator in Bookings, and the other not so. A third member, with a Business Premium account, is also set up to be an Administrator in Bookings without fault. Removing and re-adding the staff member didn't change this behavior.

How can we resolve this? Is this a permissions/roles issue on a higher level? Can settings/rights for Bookings be tweaked elsewhere? We have been looking extensively for answers on the web, but didn't come across any lead so far yet.

We don't have any setup for using powershell (yet, because of a non-windows environment), so hopefully this can be resolved via the Admin center somehow?

Any thoughts/help would be very welcome...

Thanks in advance.

15 Replies

We are also having an identical issue as we are not allowed to update a user's 'guest' role to administrator.   We also tried to create a new booking calendar for testing but nothing has changed.

The user has a business premium license. 

Just updating this to say that we have now solved the issue, after checking the user's mailbox and realising this had been set to a shared mailbox.  After contacting support who tipped us, we were able to fix the issue after by converting it again to a standard user mailbox. Hope this helps other people who might run into the same problem.

@bartlabs 

Bookings is turned on by default for customers who have the Microsoft 365 Business Standard, or Microsoft 365 A3 and Microsoft 365 A5 subscriptions. Bookings is also available to customers who have Office 365 Enterprise E3 and Office 365 Enterprise E5, but it is turned off by default. To turn it on, see Get access to the Microsoft 365 Business apps for Enterprise subscriptions.

Maybe the plan you are using for certain members (who are facing this issue) might nor support teams. This can be a reason they are shifted to guest.

Staff member doesn't have a Microsoft 365 account

• Be signed up to deliver booked services but cannot access Bookings

• Receive a meeting invitation when assigned to a booking so you can add it to your personal calendar (valid email address required)

• Receive email reminders of upcoming bookings

• Receive notifications of cancellations and changes

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-your-staff-list-298c529b-407b-4a2b-b2c5-6e77a9d1f07f

Hope that helps. 

@bartlabs 

Bookings is turned on by default for customers who have the Microsoft 365 Business Standard, or Microsoft 365 A3 and Microsoft 365 A5 subscriptions. Bookings is also available to customers who have Office 365 Enterprise E3 and Office 365 Enterprise E5, but it is turned off by default. To turn it on, see Get access to the Microsoft 365 Business apps for Enterprise subscriptions.

Maybe your plan for certain users(who are able get admin roles) does have access to bookings. 

• Receive a meeting invitation when assigned to a booking so you can add it to your personal calendar (valid email address required)

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-your-staff-list-298c529b-407b-4a2b-b2c5-6e77a9d1f07f

Hope that helps.

@bartlabs 

Bookings is turned on by default for customers who have the Microsoft 365 Business Standard, or Microsoft 365 A3 and Microsoft 365 A5 subscriptions. Bookings is also available to customers who have Office 365 Enterprise E3 and Office 365 Enterprise E5, but it is turned off by default. To turn it on, see.

Maybe your plan for certain users(who are able get admin roles) does have access to bookings. 

Hope that helps.

Hi,

I have a similar problem...

I'm trying to create a Booking Page for users to be able to book a desk in the office.

As a test I created four "Room" mailboxes, one for each desk .

The problem is I cannot get the Staff role to "Viewer", it automatically defaults back to guest.

Creating a normal user mailbox will not work for me

I followed the instructions taken from here: https://2die4it.com/2020/05/09/use-microsoft-bookings-as-room-and-desk-planner-back-to-the-office/

https://2die4it.com/2020/05/09/use-microsoft-bookings-as-room-and-desk-planner-back-to-the-office/ 

Please help2020-09-07 17_48_27-Bookings.png

You do not need to set them to viewer, Guest is ok. I had the same trouble, assigned testwise a E3 license but that doesnt change anything. Room booking works well for us when room is "guest".

@Rainer SchmittUnfortunately I have the same issue. Even though we have A5 Edu licenses, when we use a resource/room for MS Booking, it always downgrades it to guest and MS Bookings will not pull the calendar of that resource to prevent booking conflicts, even though I enable the option to book only if available/free. How did you fix it in your case?

I have the same problem that I have some users which are tagged as guest when adding them without the possibility to promote the to viewer.
Has anybody found a solution for that?
I have found a solution for the problem.
When typing the user name in the Staff field select "Search Directory" instead of picking the user. After that pick the result from the search...you will be able to switch the role of this user
I figured it out! If the user you are trying to add as a Staff has been converted to a Shared Mailbox, you will need to convert them back to a standard user. Microsoft programmed it so that any shared mailbox (even if it is also a user) will default to a Guest.
If you need help to convert them back, here are the instructions: Go to the Exchange admin center. Select Recipients > Shared. Select the shared mailbox. Under Convert to Regular Mailbox, select Confirm.
Then try and add them as a Staff again!

Also have an explaination.

If you're user are managed on a local Exchange Server (even if Hybrid), and even if a MS365 licence is applied, the user is managed as a Contact and can only have Guest role because while not registred as a fully Cloud MS365 account it can't manage Booking account.

@bartlabs 

Workaround

take an Android device

Install bookings app

Login as global admin

goto Accounts

Edit Button 

Set as admin

;)

Screenshot_20230308_204922_Bookings.jpg

@Benjamin_GL100% true we run into the same issue. Convert the mailbox from onprem to cloud now it works.

Thx and greets

Exact same solution in my case! Thank you!