How to manage a bookings site after the owner leaves the organization

Brass Contributor

I have done a bit of digging and cannot seem to find this anywhere, so I thought I would try here.  I am looking to find out if there is a way to easily manage Bookings sites after a sole owner leaves the organization.  I understand that these sites all have back-end mailboxes but I cannot find an easy way to add an owner through powershell or through the Bookings pages even as a Global Admin.  Any help or insight would be great!

14 Replies
Make someone else owner of the bookings page? but it should be able the keep bookings calenders running at department level when the original owner is leaving the org.
How do you make someone else the owner? I've tried accessing bookings calendars and I get 'you don't have access to this...'. My account is a global admin. Any help appreciated; I find it difficult to find any administrative info on this app.

@Thomps_0  @Ken_VUB   You add a new or additional admin to the Bookings site by giving them Full Access permissions to the Bookings mailbox and they can then open the site through the Bookings web app:

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity <BookingsMailbox> -User <BookingsSiteAdminUser> -AccessRights FullAccess -InheritanceType All

@Kreera House I struggled with initially to find the bookings mailbox name.  To find it, go to the Bookings Page and under "Share your page" you can see the email account name created for your site in the share URL.  The issue I had is these accounts don't show up in ECP, and initially I didn't realize they were a specific RecipientTypeDetails value.  

With that, you can also use this to get all your Bookings mailboxes:
Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | Where {$_.RecipientTypeDetails -eq 'SchedulingMailbox'}

@Thomps_0  Right. With that you'll get a list of all of your Bookings sites in your tenant.

If you're looking for just an individual mailbox to find out whether it's forwarded to anyone or what its mailbox address is so that you can construct the URL of the published site, you can also use Get-Mailbox or Get-Recipient with the Business Name in quotations marks and pull the PrimarySmtpAddress or ForwardingSmtpAddress.

If you want to find out if there are other admins of the site, use Get-MailboxPermission.

It would be great if Bookings had its own set of PowerShell cmdlets to manage and retrieve information about Bookings sites, but some of the information is retrievable with standard Exchange PowerShell cmdlets.

@Kreera House,
I am an Intermediate PowerShell User at best. This sounds like what I need to do. Can you walk me through it in a bit more detail and/or refer me to a blog where it does?
Thanks

@Lisa Stebbins  With Get-Mailbox you can obtain the full name of the Scheduling mailbox the Bookings site uses. Then you can assign Full Access permissions with the cmdlet I posted above. Here is more detailed info on this cmdlet:

Add-MailboxPermission (ExchangePowerShell) | Microsoft Docs

Just a heads up, RecipientTypeDetails is filterable,
Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited -Filter{RecipientTypeDetails -eq 'SchedulingMailbox'}
Will run faster than a where-object... :)

@Thomps_0 

In fact, there's a simpler one:

get-mailbox -RecipientTypeDetails scheduling 

@Thomps_0  - Looks like your query is already answered. Summarizing the steps.

1) get-mailbox -RecipientTypeDetails scheduling

to retrieve the list of Bookings Mailboxes

2) Add-MailboxPermission -Identity <BookingsMailbox> -User <BookingsSiteAdminUser> -AccessRights FullAccess -InheritanceType All
to add admin and provide Full access permission

Hello,
This post is old but we find it easily. And it is usefull.

I uses your powershell to see all Bookings and try to add me on some.

After adding my account I have access to it. But I can only view. I can't do anything on it. I can't add staff or modify/create service.

Do you know how to do it please?

@Thomps_0 ,

Try adding a super user to a booking mailbox. Add staff to Bookings | Microsoft Learn

SubhamKSinha_0-1675141642011.png

And then you can successfully delete a booking mailbox as superuser. (Remove-BookingMailbox -Identity SchoolAdmissionPortal2@testbookings22Dec.onmicrosoft.com)

SubhamKSinha_1-1675141711836.png

You could also login to bookings UI and add other as staff as a superuser (this can be only done through UI or GRAPH).

SubhamKSinha_2-1675141871299.png

@SubhamKSinha 

Thanks. I missed that one :
Add-RecipientPermission -Identity <bookingmailbox@emailaddress> -Trustee <adminusers@emailaddress> -AccessRights SendAs -Confirm:$false

In summary :

1. Extract the list of all Bookings : get-mailbox -RecipientTypeDetails scheduling
  2. Add this permission : Add-MailboxPermission -Identity <bookingmailbox@emailaddress> -User <adminusers@emailaddress> -AccessRights FullAccess -Deny:$false -AutoMapping:$false
  3. Add this last permission : Add-RecipientPermission -Identity <bookingmailbox@emailaddress> -Trustee <adminusers@emailaddress> -AccessRights SendAs -Confirm:$false

And I create a little script to find booking without staff on it:

$AllBookingsMailbox = get-mailbox -RecipientTypeDetails scheduling

foreach ($BookingMailbox in $AllBookingsMailbox)
{
$Permissions = Get-MailboxPermission -Identity $BookingMailbox.Identity
$NbPermissions = $Permissions.Count
#If only 2 permissions that is the default ones
If ($NbPermissions -eq 2)
{
Get-MailboxPermission -Identity $BookingMailbox.Identity |Format-List
}
}

@SubhamKSinha I tried all that but when I try to apply any changes, they don't apply.  I don't want to delete the site, I want to add someone else as admin.  The only way I've been able to get close to what I want to do, is to make a copy of the site, and then everything works fine.